X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another case of: m4a79xtd and f3-12800cl9d-4gbrl instability

MB: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: 2x f3-12800cl9d-4gbrl (total 4gig)
    Processor: Phenom II 955 c2 (Cooler Master Hyper N520 fan)
    630 w PSU (Kingswin I think)
    No OC at all

Hi,

My wife's pc is getting a bsod or lockup every few days. And...can't ever run Prime 95 blend for 5 minutes without a hard freeze-up (. CPU temps under prime never hit higher than 54c. Small fft goes fine, at least for the couple of hours I left it...)

Right now I'm on Auto all the way, down to 1333 9-9-9-27-2t but still unstable.

Can someone familiar with this motherboard give me some exact settings to try? Is running this Ram at 16v safe and worth trying? What other settings in this bios should I change--and if possible, exact names as they appear in this Asus bios would be good--there's a lot of confusingly named entries regarding nb voltages and such (nb 1.8 voltage??) I'm a bit worried about terminology.

I'm still on the 604 bios, too. Is there any hope that updating to the latest will correct any of this?

My wife is gonna kill me if I don't get it stable pretty soon...not sure if RMA'ing the RAM is worth it. Not really sure if the RAM is the issue, but with so many problems reported with this board and this RAM, gotta wonder....

Thanks so much!

-Daniel

Do you have two sets of 4GB memory? or just one set?

First, make sure to set all memory settings properly.

DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1600
    DRAM Timings - tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24
    DRAM Voltage 1.50V
    HT Voltage 1.40V
    NB Voltage 1.20V

Keep me posted on the results. You can also try CPU-NB +0.1V and increasing NB Frequency to x11 2200MHz.

The issue is with the older revision AMD CPU, that has memory controller problems.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the response. This is just 4 gig, 2 dimms by the way.

I've tried the Ram timings you mention (9,9,9,24 at 1600) many times. Haven't bumped by HT voltage or NB Voltage up before, but I just did, and I'm sorry to say that it made things much worse--freezing right as I get into windows.

Just yanked one dimm, and am running Blend now with just the one--looks to be no problems so far--50 minutes, way more than the 5-10 minutes I've gotten to date.

So...if I'm getting an issue with some kind of dual channel timing, which it looks like I am...if I RMA the ram, is it possible to get a different model in return? I really don't care if it's 1600, 1333 is fine--I just want to feel like it's going to be stable. This ram, based on my experience and with what I've seen others say, just isn't. So...will G.Skill send me different RAM? I'm just not confident that this model RAM is ever going to work, despite it being listed as valid for this MB.

Thanks!

-Daniel

Comment

Try these settings:

DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1333
        DRAM Timings - tCL 8 - tRCD 8 - tRP 8 - tRAS 24
        DRAM Voltage 1.50V

You should have no problems. If you do, one module may be defective, so simply send it in for new replacements.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X