Assistance with stabilizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance with stabilizing

I need a bit of help trying to stabilize my ram. Whenever I start a prime95 blend it usually lasts about 5-10 mins before workers start returning rounding errors. Otherwise, when I run it for CPU its stable over 6 hours. My current setup is as follows:

G Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
    AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE C2 FSB@200 CPU@3.8 19x multi CPU-NB@2400
    MSI NF980-G65 mobo

I have tried quite a few settings while trying to stabilize this ram over the past few weeks, but I've hit the wall. Started at the rated 1600 speed with manual 9-9-9-24 timings set in bios. Incrementally raised the voltage from 1.5v - 1.6v. Also tried it at 1333 with tighter timings at 7-7-7-21 up to 9-9-9-24 with voltage increased. Both speeds were tested with T1 and T2 timing. None of these settings work with CPU/NB at stocks either.

10 mins is the most I've been able to squeeze out of blend test in prime95 and that was at the 1333 9-9-9-24 T2. I'm stuck. If I try to game I either freeze up or BSOD. I would appreciate any help I can get before I try and send these back.

Try raising NB, HT, and CPU-NB Voltages. Especially if the NB Frequency is 2400MHz, you may need +0.2V. HT Voltage 1.40V, NB Voltage 1.30V, can help stabilize DDR3-1600.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I'm a little uncertain of what this means...

You want me to add .2v to the cpu-nb voltage from auto setting and then set HT to 1.4v and NB to 1.3v?

Thank you for the reply.

In my bios the voltage for HT link goes yellow past 1.3v and is red at 1.4v. Is this safe?
      My ram timings should remain at 9-9-9-24 1.5v @ 1600?
      Last edited by Filthmcnasty; 05-04-2010, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Yes, you have the correct understanding. The color changes are safe, they are just warning you that you are volting higher than stock.

Yes, memory settings remain the same. You are trying to stabilize the CPU memory controller for the memory.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Still no dice.

Fails prime blend almost instantly followed shortly by BSOD.

Only way I can keep it from BSOD or crashing during gaming is to run 1333 @ 7-7-7-21 1.5v and knocking the HT link down to 1800.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard? If you can post pictures of your BIOS, I can see what may be set or detected incorrectly

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

I'm currently using v1.1 bios. Here are the pics of the cell menu with current(most stable) settings and pics of the DRAM menu showing my manual timings. Let me know if anything isn't clear enough or needs to be explained.

CPU and voltage settings...
              http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/x...Bios/Cell1.jpg
              http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/x...Bios/Cell2.jpg

DRAM timings
              http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/x.../Bios/Ram1.jpg
              http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/x.../Bios/Ram2.jpg

Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Comment

Did you try DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2T?

Is your CPU Voltage sufficient for the overclock?

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

I have tried the ram at 9-9-9-24 timings set to both 1T and 2T.

The cpu is running at 1.45v currently, but I had bumped it up to 1.5v at one point to see if that was an issue. Still having the same issue with rounding errors at that setting. The current settings in the BIOS I pictured is what I use now to avoid crashes while gaming and random BSOD issues.

Comment

Post pictures of your BIOS and I can see if anything is set incorrectly. Meanwhile, I would suggest operating them at DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 for similar performance without instability.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I posted pics of my bios above. As you can see in the pictures if you'd looked at them the settings you gave me are what I'm running the ram at. Its rated at 1600 and should run at 1600, but I can't get it stable enough to run games and applications at that speed.

At this point its been close to a month already and I can't get it running so I'll just return it and take a hit on the restocking fee. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X