DDR 3 1600 will only run at 1200 on MSI cd-53

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR 3 1600 will only run at 1200 on MSI cd-53

Basically I cant get the memory to run at the default spec's speed of 1600 on this MSI board with an i5 750. Or actually I can but windows then reports that only 1.99 Gb is usable.

Before I start...
    1. I have read similar threads and taken advise on CPU seating.
    2. The problem occurred only after an MSI OC genie overclock.
    3. I can get the full 4gb memory to work but at a lower memory clock level than they are spec'd at
    4. Loading optimized defaults cured the memory problem (But CPU and Memory were obviously running at below default speeds)
    5. All Figures are from memory (mine) as I havn't got access to my system today.
    System:
    P55 CD53, i5 750, 2X2Gb G.skill DDR3 1600, NVidia 250 GTS BIOS version 1.6, Windows 7 64bit

Method:
    1. New system build first boot, loaded optimized defaults and checked for stability - OK 4gb memory reported and being used memory at 1200, CPU at around 2.5 Ghz (2.66 Ghz default)
    2. Ran OC genie, system CPU clocked at 3.4 Ghz, memory running at 2200 (ish), 4Gb memory reported in BIOS, Win7 64 bit reported installed 4Gb, only 1.99 usable
    3. Disabled OC genie, POST, saved BIOS settings as 3.4Gb stable
    4. Adjusted cell values to give 3.8 Gb CPU speed (most CPU features including hyperthreading (not supported) and step remained switched off after OC genie.

5. Booted into OS, stability check - OK, OS reported memory 4 Gb installed, 1.99 Gb usable.
    6. Reboot - POST, changed cell z- memory values to give speed 1200, booted into OS, Windows reports 4 Gb installed, 4Gb usable at CPU clock 3.8 Ghz and memory speed of 1200

Increasing the memory controller voltage may solve the problem, but I don't think you have that adjustment on this particular motherboard.

Send the memory in for new replacements, and the new set should work better.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
    X