Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 + F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD

Hello all,

I am new to these forums but I have recently been purchasing G.Skill RAM for all my machines. I have pieced together a new computer this week and am having some issues which I think are RAM related. I have contacted G.Skill tech support via email and they have been very responsive. I wanted to post the thread we've had here so maybe other people that have run into issues may be able to give me some ideas. Thank you for considering the following:
    -------------------------------------------------
    To G.Skill from me on 4/29
    ------
    To whom it may concern,

Yesterday I put together a new system containing the following:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
    Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
    G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    2x Western Digital 600GB 10,000RPM Raptors on the SATA3 port in RAID0
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 5870

I am running Windows 7 x64. Initially the machine POSTs fine. I was able to install Windows 7 and noticed some odd hiccups with certain slowdowns in odd areas like running the Windows Update page. I had a few times where I'd reboot after an update and just get a blank screen. Finally when I noticed one of the aforementioned "hiccups" I got a BSOD and rebooted. I toyed with some of the BIOS settings for memory voltage, etc. I'm not really up to speed with the settings that need to be in place for the RAM to function properly in this motherboard. I'm not an overclocker, nor do I care to overclock. I'd just like to set things up to be rock solid and reliable. I have found some posts with similar setups on your message boards, but the processor speed was always different. I put the settings in a slight variation to one of the posts I saw and the machine has been turned on and running for 18 hours without locking up under minimal load. Could you please advise me on the recommended settings for this Gigabit motherboard with the processor and GSKILL RAM I mentioned above?
    From G.SKill to me on 4/29
    ------
    Dear Customer

Here are the optimum settings:

In MIT (MB Intelligent Tweaker):

CPU Clock Ratio - 17x for 2.8GHz
    QPI Link Speed - AUTO
    Base Clock Control - Enabled
    BCLK Frequency - 167
    Performance Enhance - Standard
    Extreme Memory Profile - Disabled
    System Memory Multiplier - 12

Uncore & QPI Features
    Uncore Frequency - 4008

DRAM Timing Selectable - Manual

CAS Latency Time - 9
    tRCD - 9
    tRP - 9
    tRAS - 24

Enter these for the other three as well.

Channel A Timing Settings

Advanced Timings
    Command Rate - 2

Advanced Voltage Control
    Load-Line Calibration - Disabled
    CPU Vcore - 1.32V
    QPI/VTT Voltage - 1.60V
    DRAM Voltage - 1.600V
    Rest to AUTO
    This is set up so that you can simply increase CPU Ratio to overclock your CPU Frequency. I suggest this because this particular system can be much faster with CPU overclocked. The memory bandwidth is limited because of it. Set CPU Ratio to 21X and you will notice the difference. =) Enjoy!
    To G.Skill from me on 4/30
    ------
    I have tried these settings and I continue to have issues. Windows was running stable for hours last night, but upon reboot I got a blank screen. Sometimes the Windows logo will come up and then the machine will stop responding. IF I can get into Windows, things seem stable. Sometimes Windows takes a long time to load. If this happens programs run slowly and eventually I will get a BSOD. I played a game (World Of Warcraft) for about 1 hour without an issue when the machine went straight into Windows after POST. There are some questions regarding my config, as I was a little confused by parts of your message. I am running the latest BIOS F5. Here are my settings:

CPU Clock Ratio ? 17x
    QPI Clock Ratio ? Auto

[Uncore & QPI Features]
    QPI Clock Ratio ? Auto (QPI Link Speed ? 6.01GHz)
    Uncore Clock Ratio ? Auto (Uncore Frequency ? 4008MHz)
    Isochronous Support ? Auto

Base Clock(BCLK) Control ? Enabled
    BCLK Frequency(Mhz) ? 167

[Advanced Clock Control]
    Base Clock(BCLK) Control ? Enabled
    BCLK Frequency(Mhz) ? 167
    PCI Express Frequency(Mhz) ? Auto
    CPU Clock Drive ? 800mV
    PCI Express Clock Drive ? 900mV
    CPU Clock Skew ? 0ps
    IOH Clock Skew ? 0ps

Performance Enhance ? Standard
    Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P) ? Disabled
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ? 12.0
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ? Expert
    Channel A
    CAS Latency Time ? 9
    tRCD ? 9
    tRP ? 9
    tRAS ? 24
    Command Rate(CMD) ? 2
    Channel B
    CAS Latency Time ? 9
    tRCD ? 9
    tRP ? 9
    tRAS ? 24
    Command Rate(CMD) ? Auto
    Channel C
    CAS Latency Time ? 9
    tRCD ? 9
    tRP ? 9
    tRAS ? 24
    Command Rate(CMD) ? Auto
    Load-Line Calibration ? Standard (There is no Disabled. Only Standard, Level 1 and Level 2)
    CPU Vcore ? 1.325V
    QPI/Vtt Voltage ? 1.615 (This is blinking red (too high?), as the ?Optimized Default? is 1.175V)
    IOH Core ? Auto
    DRAM Voltage ? 1.60V

Everything else in the sub menus is ?Optimized Default? not ?Failsafe Default?.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Since the parts are new, they are well within the warranty period. I want to make sure my RAM is configured correctly before I start tearing the system apart to see if it's the motherboard or something else. I'd appreciate any advice! Thank you!
Working...
X