Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ddr3 cl9 trident

Hi guys
    New here and new to overclocking, but believe me, i am a fast learner.
    Been building pcs for a long time, this is my first intel build, but i am doing it in style.

Intel i7 980x
    GA-X58A-UD7
    sata 3 WD caviar black 640g X2 raid 0
    sapphire radeon hd 5970 X2 xfire
    zalman zm1000hp
    GMC h80
    h50-1 cooler

Now i am waiting for the trident ram.
    My question is this, someone tell me, what can i expect from this ram, and will it run at 2000mhz from stock on this system? it is one of the very few tested for the mother board, but will i have to do anything apart from set the XMP to get it there, and what XMP should i set for it?
    Can i expect to see any headroom on the overclock??
    Also would i see any benefits in using 12gb instead of 6gb?
    and if so, what?
    Many thanks

Yes, DDR3-2000 will not be a problem. But upwards of that, it will require more than 1.60V of QPI/VTT Voltage, which is quite a bit. This voltage will be your main hurdle/limitation.

You can use XMP, but in addition you will also need to set QPI/VTT Voltage manually since XMP will not do this for you.

As far as overclocking, these modules are capable of DDR3-2200+, just depending on your overclocking abilities and how much voltage you want to use.

12GB would dramatically decrease your performance and overclocking since it places a tremendous amount of stress on the memory controller. You would probably need to downclock the memory to operate 12GB.

You may be interested in this thread: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthrea...highlight=x58a

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your reply, got them toda, will give them a blast over the weekend.
      I have been reading that they may overclock to over 2300, will try an overclock on the system get it stable for a bench and then find a good setting for 24/7.
      Cant seem to find much info on the m/b overclocking, so it looks like its going to be trial and error.
      Hopefully no blue smoke

Comment

Simply search for Gigabyte X58 overclocking. There are many different variations of this motherboard that people may have.

Feel free to post any questions, issues, roadblocks you may have.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Works

Just to let you guys know for now, got the trident, plugged it in, and first thing, its all fine.
          Second, went in to MIT (motherboard intelligent tweaker), set the xmp profile, VOILA, 2000 no messing.
          Just goes to prove, get memory validated by your motherboard.
          I thought i would have problems with this ram because of the ammount of comments i have seen, no such thing
          I even set the intel setting to extreme, guess what?
          2100 straight off the bat, no messing.
          Left the stock cooler on the I7 980 X, just to see how it performs.
          2 Hours, prime 95, temps went to 62, and that was it, i am absolutely amazed at the processor, and the ram just seems to compliment it.
          Now i know its all stable, i am going to push it as far as it will let me go on the stock cooler, and see what happens.
          Have to take the softly softly approach though, cos i managed to fry my Phenom last night

I may be seeking your assitance for some really high speeds

Comment

Lucky you with the nice new CPU. =P

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X