Ripjaws - Cold boot bug? 1 ram individually works, 2 don't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripjaws - Cold boot bug? 1 ram individually works, 2 don't

So I got the 4GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9 and AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition with the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3. All is new, and has been working the month since I got it.

2 days ago I got random bluescreens and freezes. Re installed the OS several times (windows 7 and vista) and it worked sometimes for hours, then it instantly froze when starting a game, or watching movies online. It sometimes also refuses to start with 2 ram sticks in. (when I reset it a few times however it starts with 2 sticks but bluescreens fairly quickly with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and others like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL etc).

When I start it with only one stick however, it works fine. Doesn't matter which one, doesn't matter which bank.

memtest didn't show any errors. I already updated my bios to the newest revision.

Question is now, if I send it to RMA will it be fixed or will i just get it back and this happens asgain? I don't have other ram and I don't know what else to try, I did pretty much everything. The voltage in bios seems correct.

Please help. thanks

Edit
    The techs replied in other threads after mine, why not here?
    Last edited by Annihilator; 04-13-2010, 11:12 AM.

G.Skill replied to almost every thread now, and this one is already on page 2. I was refreshing this page all day. could someone help me?

Comment

I'm coming I'm coming!

Did you manually configure settings in BIOS? Memory frequency, timings, and voltage? Doesn't sound like a cold boot issue, just incorrect settings.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

It ran just fine for 2 months here.

Sorry for being impatient. its just so... frustrating. I have wasted like 3 days on this issue. Made BIOS updates, reinstalled my OS twice, to make sure its not a software issue. I left it on standard, I once raised the voltage, but it didn't help at all.

Should I write all settings down? I don't know about this stuff, I never tinkered with it for the same reason.

Comment

Or take pictures and post them here, or email them to ustech@gskillusa.com with a link to this thread.

P.S. Going out to lunch, so don't panic! brb =)

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Alright picture time!

Links:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...n/DSC01737.jpg
            http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...n/DSC01738.jpg
            http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...n/DSC01739.jpg

Hope this helps.

I really don't know what else I could do.
            Last edited by Annihilator; 04-13-2010, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Set Memory Clock - Manual
              x8.00 1600MHz

DDR3 Timing Items - Manual
              CAS Latency 9
              RAS to CAS R/W Delay - 9
              Row Precharge Time - 9
              Minimum RAS Active Time - 24
              1T/2T Command Timing - 2T
              Trfc 0 160ns
              Trfc 2 160ns
              Trfc 1 160ns
              Trfc 3 160ns

Let me know how that goes.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Now it did boot up again. I fired up left4Dead 2, and after 1 minute in it restarted with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

usbport.sys

I never had that one before, and I had something that felt like 200 bluescreens over the last 3 days.

This is the report:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x00000000000000b0, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff88003e0fb8d). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: .

I don't know if this makes a difference, but: I put the timings in exactly like you said, but with only one stick in, because it froze when being in the bios with both sticks.
                I then popped the second one in later. Does it only change it for the stick that is currently plugged in? Or is it fine the way I did it?

edit
                I tried it again now, I unplugged every USB device except my mouse and keyboard to avoid conflicts, and before I even saw the desktop I got an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, this time with this:

Problem signature:
                Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
                OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
                Locale ID: 4105

Additional information about the problem:
                BCCode: a
                BCP1: 000000A202010000
                BCP2: 0000000000000002
                BCP3: 0000000000000001
                BCP4: FFFFF80002A76FB1
                OS Version: 6_1_7600
                Service Pack: 0_0
                Product: 256_1
                Last edited by Annihilator; 04-14-2010, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Go ahead and send those in for new replacements.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Alright, will do. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X