Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory errors with Ga-p55a-ud3

Hello,

I've recently purchased a new intel i5-750 with a gigabyte ga-p55a-ud3 mobo and 4x2gb sticks of gskill ripjaw memory. Right off the bat I started to get BSOD's and when I ran memtest it would always find errors in test 5. I tested each stick individually and found no errors. Once I ran all 4, errors would happen intermittently.

I rma'd the sticks and got new ones, and still had the same issue. I then rma'd the mobo, replaced it myself and STILL had the errors. The bios is the most recent version, and I've tried all the suggestions as per this person's post :

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthrea...ht=ga-p55a-ud3

I've spoken with the store (NCIX) where I purchased it and they would like me to send the system back to them. I'm hesitant to do so because it would be at least a 3 week turnaround, and I'm not convinced that they could do anything differently. I'm hoping you have a new suggestion. Oddly enough the system works fine with 4gb of ram but not 8.

Specs are : Intel I5 750
    Gigabyte Ga-p55a-ud3 mobo
    1 tb wd hd
    4x2 gb sticks of G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM
    Win 7
    Ati Radeon 5850

Any help would be appreciated. I'm really frustrated at this point.
    Last edited by bigdaddio; 04-05-2010, 06:36 PM.

What do you have QPI/VTT Voltage set to? This needs to be manually set/increased especially for 8GB. Also, do you have all the memory settings configured properly? frequency, timings, voltage...?

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you for the reply. At present my qpi/vtt setting is a 1.1 v (default). I have the timings set to 8-8-8-24, and a voltage of 1.5v (as per the settings on the package). I did manually increase the qpi voltage by the increments all the way to 1.31. Each time I saved and re-ran memtest and still got errors on test 5.

I have xmp enabled, and the system memory multiplier set to auto - although I also did change it both to 10 and to 8 (underclocked). Each time I get errors in test 5.

Under performance enhancements I tried both Turbo and standard.

Under dram selectable timings I set it to quick and then manually entered the channel A timing settings - which automatically copy to Channel B (8-8-8-24).

Everything else was set to Optimal settings, and my Bios is the most recent version F6.

I would be happy to try any precise settings you'd recommend.

Comment

Try testing each module or set first to insure none are defective.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Each stick has been checked and double checked. Also I get no errors when I run 4gb. The issue comes up with 8gb.

Comment

Post pictures of your BIOS so I can see if anything is set incorrectly. You can try increasing QPI/VTT even further to see if that helps.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

ok here are the pics of my bios and where I get errors on memtest.

Comment

Comment

If there is anything else that would assist you please let me know. I also tried increasing the qpi one more time to the max setting of 1.33 and it didn't work. I can actually raise it higher but the numbers are displayed in bright red so I'm guessing I shouldn't be going there.

Comment

Very odd, do you have problems with 2 modules?

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

none whatsoever. I even rechecked them in sets of 2 right now before posting. :/

Is my only solution to rma my whole system back?

Comment

Don't RMA your entire system. I had the same model of RAM and the same issues in my Intel DP55KG motherboard. My solution was to request G-Skill RMA staff agree to a swap your TWO F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM kits for ONE F3-10666CL9Q-8GBECO kit instead.

For some interesting reading here is a link to my thread:
                        http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=3461

As you can see, I went through almost 2 months of back and forth with G-Skill Tech trying various settings etc. I thought maybe this would help cut through the red tape so to speak.

Good Luck!

Comment

Thank you so much for your advice Trekkerxp (and Gskill tech support). I can't tell you the stress this has caused especially after plunking down a lot of money for a new system. As per the instruction page on G.skill I'll contact my vendor today to see if they are amenable and if not I will try to rma it to Gskill linking both my post and yours.

I'll post updates when available.

Comment

Working...
                          X