Ram/CPU not reaching full potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram/CPU not reaching full potential

All, I have recently upgraded my setup, but am not getting the most out of my new ram.

CPU - Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.67Ghz (currently factory OC to 3.00GhZ - running at 1.4V)
    Mobo - EVGA 790i Ultra Sli
    Ram - GSkill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRAM x2 for a total of 8GB.

I have changed my BIOS settings for the RAM to the recommended 7-8-7-24 2T @ 1.65V

I am stable at those settings, provided I keep the FSB at 1500MhZ (I would like to increase if I could...I have H2O cooling, so heat is not an issue), and the RAM at 1333. I would like to take this to 1600, as that is what this RAM is rated at. When I try to bring it to 1600, the system loads it at 9-9-9-24 1T @ 1333.

The other issue is in my current state, in CPUz, it only shows the maximum bandwith of each stick as PC3-10700...so I think I am not getting the full potential there.

What do I need to change in order to get the full potential from my CPU an RAM? Is there a ratio that I need to maintain between the FSB speed and the RAM Speed? Should they be linked or synced (instead of unlinked in BIOS)?

Sorry if these are noob questions, but I am new to this. Thanks!

Update: I have gotten the CPU up to 3.4GhZ and stable, but still can't get the RAM to go any higher...thoughts?

Comment

I'm not familiar with your mobo or BIOS but it sounds like you need to adjust your FSB: DRAM ratio (aka Memory Divider).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_divider

Comment

The two are unlinked, so I can manually choose the FSB and Mem speeds. When I try to go over 1333, the memory loads at a system default of 9-9-9-24 1T. Is there something else I need to adjust to boost the speed of the RAM, and ensure it uses the timings I specified?

Comment

Did you set FSB (QDR) to 1600?

NB Voltage needs to be increased for 8GB.

Make sure all memory settings are exactly as stated on the memory.

The max bandwidth in CPU-z is the motherboard standard. You will need to look in the memory tab for actual operating values. DDR3-1600 should show ~800MHz.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X