Asus P7P55D Pro not compatible with F312800CL7D-4GBRH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P7P55D Pro not compatible with F312800CL7D-4GBRH

I have been building systems for myself for many years, with few problems. But recently, like many others, I have been frustrated by compatibility problems with a new build.

The main components are:

Asus P7P55D Pro - with latest 1207 Bios and updated chipset drivers.
    Intel i7 860 with Coolermaster 212+
    2x2Gb G Skill F312800CL7D-4GBRH
    Antec Truepower 650 PSU
    WD Black hard drive
    Radeon 4890
    Windows 7 Home Prem 64 bit

I have spent several weeks trying to overcome BSODs, boot failures and cold boot problems, without ever getting as far as installing any other software.

Using XMP setting in Bios, both modules installed for dual channel, everything else on auto, standard CPU clock settings, - Result - boot failure loops or blue memory related system failure screens. Very occasional boot into windows after going through windows repair process.

Tried manual timings using 1333 or 1600 at 7 7 7 24 2T or 8 8 8 24 2T or 9 9 9 24 2T at voltages from 1.6 to 1.65 All produce same results.

I have reinstalled windows 3 times with no improvement.

When I can achieve a boot into windows and then shut down, the system will usually start successfully, and this can be repeated a few times, but then the blue screens re appear.

Both memory modules show zero errows on repeated memtest runs.

The system will only run with any stability with one memory module installed, in slot 1. Like this I can run reasonably stable at 19x200 giving overclock to 3.8 with memory at 1600. Either memory module will work like this.

For info voltages at this overclock are memory at 1.6, vcore 1.28, imc 1.2

I notice that where posters on this forum have memory replaced under RMA, this usually seems to cure the problem. So I am curious what is different about the replacement memory, and why the original memory is not to the same standard.
    I would welcome any advice from G Skill.

As a further comment, I find that every IT forum has numerous reports of these same problems involving a variety of boards and memory brands, and both i5 and i7 processors. But no manufacturer seems to accept any responsibility. And annoyingly, the memory tested by board makers and listed in their QVL is often out of date, or not available in retail outlets.

The common factor in all these problems is the Intel memory controller built into the CPUs, and the Intel P55 chipset. And I am struck by the deafening silence from Intel. There is clearly a serious compatibility issue with these systems.

Please send the memory in for new replacements. You should have absolutely no issues with the XMP Profile.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Asus P7P55D Pro not compatible with F312800CL7D-4GBRH

Thank you GSkill Tech for your very quick response.

I requested RMA as suggested, received RMA number within a few hours, and items now returned to GSkill.

Very impressed with GSkill service.

But I am less impressed with the variability of GSkill memory.
      When it works it is good value, but there seem to be too many problems reported.
      I know many of these are the result of inexperienced users applying incorrect settings, but there are also many incompatibility reports from experienced PC builders.

I have now been able to try my system with 2 x 2 GB OCZ memory and it immediately worked correctly. As it should have done with the GSkill memory.

Comment

Working...
      X