Asus P6TSE only seeing 8GB of 12GB on XP x64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P6TSE only seeing 8GB of 12GB on XP x64

This is a a weird one. I have 6 x F316000CL8-2GPS installed on an Asus P6TSE, XP x64, Core i7 975 extreme (3.3 GHz, 25x multiplier, latest Bios) for a total of 12 GB. All worked when I built the computer. However, I had to RMA one DIMM for BSOD. During that time, my remaining 6GB started showing up as only 3GB. Now that I have the full 12 GB, it only shows up in windows as 8 GB system memory.

PC Probe (Asus product) shows that slots 1 & 2 have no memory but slots 3-6 have memory installed. CPU-Z shows that all slots are filled properly. This computer requires triple channel to start. How the hell is it even running? It seems to run fine despite the memory deficit.

Has anyone seen this before?

someone on Asus forums is experiencing the same problem with this memory on a different motherboard. So, it's probably a compatibility issue.

Comment

Not a compatiblity issue. Try increasing the QPI/VTT Voltage. Do you have memory hole remapping enabled? The motherboard does not require 3 modules to start, only one is needed. It simply will not operate triple channel if there are not 3 modules installed.

Thank you
      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Didn't work. I upped both QPI & DLL voltages two increments, with no effect.

An interesting aside, when I tried the extreme overclocking settings, I went down to 4 GB, with only the two slots 5 & 6 registering their memory.

I also tried underclocking the memory also with increased voltage with no luck. I'm going to try swapping slots to see if the memory is actually gone.

Comment

If you continue to have issues, simply send them in for new replacements.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks. I'll try to block some time to diagnose the problem. I'm going to try swapping around modules to see if it's the slot or the DIMM.

Comment

What CPU cooler do you have? Some oversized coolers may cause problems for one of the slots, so make sure no hardware is touching the motherboard where it shouldn't be.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
              X