Odd behavior F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD + P6TDV2 + XMP with S3 resume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd behavior F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD + P6TDV2 + XMP with S3 resume

If I select the XMP profile and save BIOS settings I can boot, post and run stress tests all day long. No problem.

However, the system has a good chance of failing when it resumes from S3. It will start to wake up but then just shut down. Subsequent boot attempts result in immediate shutdown after the power comes on.

When this happens I need to wait a moment then power up. It will post with the failed overclock message and I reset to default "auto" settings and all is well.

I am not a huge overclocker. I just want to run this RAM at it's advertised speed in a board the manufacturer claims it works with.

I saw the sticky note at the top of the forum with settings. That seems to fly in the face of the point of XMP profiles to begin with. The directions call for 1.65V dram and the board only does 1.64 or 1.66 and errors at you for 1.65. I might give them a try.

I'm running the latest 901 bios. Other than setting the XMP profile I made no other changes beyond stock settings.

One more thing: after this happens you can no longer resume from S3 via a usb mouse. You need to clear cmos and re-configure the BIOS. Fun times.

I replaced the CMOS battery wondering if that was it.

Should just got some generic DDR3.

Comment

Besides XMP, make sure QPI/VTT Voltage is set to 1.550V. Post up pictures of the BIOS and we can see if you have anything set incorrectly.

Thank you
      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

My BIOS settings are the default, with the exception of the profile selection.

I set QPI/VTT to 1.550 and disabled loadline calibration. That has made things much more stable so far. I am not scrambling my CMOS settings coming out of S3 anymore and the system is now generally usable.

I still have some hangs coming out of S3 after which the mouse will no longer wake the machine, but it is easily recoverable. Not sure if it's the RAM OC settings or the board.

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard? I believe there was a BIOS revision for this.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Yep, latest BIOS. It could be a regression. Wouldn't be the first time Asus inadvertently backed out a bug fix.

Comment

Working...
            X