COOLER: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 + AS5
    RAM : 6GB TRI KIT G-SKILL DDR3 XMP CL7
    Video: CrossFireX XFX ATI 4890 XXX 1GB DDR5 GPU: 1 GHz / MEM: 4 GHz
    HDD: 1 * 500GB WD Caviar+RAID 0 2 * 1 TB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT
    OPTICAL: Sony Optiarc Labelflash
    AUDIO : X-FI TITANIUM
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX
    CASE: Antec 902

I am having a very peculiar issue. When I overclock my I7 920 above 2.8GHz my computer enters a weird reboot loop (it reboots 3 times before it posts). I will explain this in more depth : i enter bios, select my overclocking settings, choose XMP, set the appropriate voltages, save, exit, computer shuts down, applies overclocking settings, turns back on, reboots once, reboots the second time, reboots the third time, post message with my new frequency. This problem has been occuring since November, aroudn the date where I tried to register on this board. I have been troubleshooting ever since :

1. Memtest+ on RAM
    2. Asked advice on XtremeSystems
    3. Tried 20 computer boards
    4. Opened up my system on multiple occassions
    5. Contacted Gigabyte and they provided feedback.

Today, after months and months of issues, I made a breakthrough. I will attach 4 photos. The first photo, will show my BIOS where my PC is at stock with a x21 multiplier. The memory speed is rated at 1333MHz. The second photo, will show my BIOS post with my I7 rated at 2.8GHz and memory rated at 1333MHz. The third photo, will show an overclock to 3.5GHz. In the same photo you will see that in the BIOS, my memory multiplier has been reduced in order to keep within the rated speed. The photo will show that my memory speed is at 1333MHz. The 4th photo, will show the BIOS POST with the 3.5GHz settings. As you can see, the memory is not at 1333MHz but at 1328MHz. Why did photo number 3 show 1333MHz and photo number 4 1328 MHz? Could this be the issue? Does the motheboard detect this difference in speed and performs several reboots before it boots normally?

Link to find my pictures :

Picture 1 :

Picture 2:

Picture 3:

Picture 4:

Alright! I am here to solve your problems. You have several things set incorrectly that should solve your problems.

The reboot issue sounds like not enough voltage to the QPI/VTT. Instead of the default 1.15V, increase that as you overclock the memory or BCLK. As you increase the CPU Frequency, you will also need to increase CPU VCore.

The reason why the DRAM Frequencies were different is because 133 x 10 is DDR3-1333, but 166 x 8 is DDR3-1328. That's all. =)

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply. During the last few months, I sought help in many places. I increased the QPI/VTT in increments with different overclocking settings and the results have not been promising. In 90 % of the cases, when my QPI/VTT was above 1.15, my computer failed to boot. It would turn on, have the failed overclocking beep and turn back off. The only solution for this case was to reset the CMOS and try again. I've increased all the available voltages, vcore, qpi/vtt, ioh, pll and this makes things worse. If I bump the VCORE and the DRAM Voltage I can overclock but with the annoying reboot. If I bump all of them, or more than VCORE and DRAM, I can't overclock.

Comment

Set Performance Enhance to Standard. Disable XMP Profile.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
        X