ASUS P5P43TD Pro + F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL problems - need BIOS settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P5P43TD Pro + F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL problems - need BIOS settings

I would like suggestions for the BIOS settings for my system. I have done some mild overclocking (I am a OC noobie, but an electrical engineer who loves to tinker/optimize settings). My system has a water cooler for my CPU, which keeps it very cool. I've had some problems with even minor OC'ing my system since I got this G.Skill RAM 1 month ago.

Here's the information:

I've been running Windows 7 RC Ultimate up until 1 week ago, then did clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate full (purchased) version. Same errors in both situations.

Model of the motherboard: ASUS P5P43TD Pro LGA 775
    Model of the memory: G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL [DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)] 2x 2GB sticks
    Model of the CPU: Intel E6550 (Core 2 Duo)

I previously had 2 x 1 GB stick of Buffalo RAM (cheap stuff from DIT computers), and was able to overclock my system (stock: 2.4 GHz) to 2.8 GHz with no problem. I would boost my FSB from the default 333 MHz to 400 MHz, set the CPU ratio from to 7.0x (options were 'Auto' '6.0x' and 7.0x'), and disable the speedstep (so it would stop dropping to 6.0x!). Everything else I left at default. I did not adjust the RAM voltage (I wasn't sure what to do). No problems, things worked fine.

I wanted more than 2 GB RAM, I do a lot of video editing, so I bought the G.Skill RAM (2x2GB sticks). This gives me 3.5 GB under Windows 7 32 bit.

Since I bought & installed the G.Skill RAM a month ago I am having problems when my system is overclocked (by even a small amount). Some strange CRC errors have popped using WinRAR reconstructing very large ISO files (5 GB & larger) that were downloaded in smaller parts ( ). I've done error checks, it is nothard drive errors (checked on multiple HDs, all of which are fine and have plenty space). I understand that this type of WinRAR operation is very memory intensive, which points to memory problems.

After research, I did the Windows Memory Diagnostic test, and got memory errors. Something is amiss!

So, I reset the BIOS to default (no OC), and now I have no problems, no WinRAR errors, no Windows Memory Diagnostic errors (did the full test that took 2 hours).

What should I set my memory voltage at? Should I raise the voltage, or set it to a certain voltage when overclocking? My college aged computer geek son says that he has heard that the default or 'auto' setting in a lot of BIOSes sets the RAM voltages too low. Will setting a higher memory voltage cure my OC problems?

What should my memory timings be? Most people seem to leave that stuff at defaults, but hey, I'd like to tweak it!

This forum looks awesome, I hope to get some good info.

Sounds like it's not liking the memory divider.

Always set CPU Host Frequency to 400 to give you 1600MHz CPU FSB. This gives you the ideal 2:1 ratio with the memory.

Then simply set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600. DRAM Timings tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24 - Command Rate 2. DRAM Voltage 1.50V.

Once that is complete, everything should run just fine. If you continue to have issues, simply test eac stick individually to sort out any bad sticks.

Welcome to the forum, hopefully you will be able to learn many new things. =)

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
    X