No Dual Channel with F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Dual Channel with F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

I have two sticks of GSkill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (2x2GB kit), and they won't run as dual channel--at least according to CPU-Z. (And the system still won't post whenever there is a module installed in slot B2; that's the second black slot away from the CPU--A2 is closest to the CPU, hence A2-B2-A1-B1 left to right, a problem for which I haven't yet received a satisfactory answer from Asus tech support. With two modules in the black slots (A2/B2) it won't post.)

It does post with modules in both A2 (black slot) and A1 (blue slot), and seems to be running stable with the RAM at 1600 with the timings and voltage set to spec (9-9-9-24 and 1.5v). But it won't run as dual channel, at least according to CPU-Z, and I have tried every possible combination of slots and BIOS settings (i.e., ganged/unganged, default/modified timings, default/modified voltage), but still it won't run as dual channel. And according to the SS/DS installation guidelines on page 1-15 of the owners manual, it should run as a dual channel configuration with a matched pair of DIMMs installed in either both black slots (A2/B2) or both blue slots (A1/B1). But it won't even post with that kind of setup. It will only post when they're split between black and blue slots, but it still doesn't run (according to CPU-Z) as dual channel.

I have tested both memory modules with Memtest86+ and Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and they passed both tests without any errors. I have the timings set per manufacturer recommendations (9-9-9-24) and I've raised the voltage on both the CPU (~1.4; that's the upper end of specs) and the memory (~1.56; 1.5 is spec), since the board was undervolting them both. Other than that I've tried just about every possible configuration of ganged/unganged with each DIMM in each slot alone and in combo with timings set to auto and per spec. Still no dual channel.

Is there a setting or something that I'm missing that causes this mem to be stuck on single channel?

Asus M4A785TD-V EVO updated to 0602 BIOS
    RAM: GSkill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (2x2GB kit)
    CPU: Athlon II X4 630 Propus
    HD: 160GB Seagate HD (for now)
    Case: Coolermaster Elite 335
    Drives: Sony DVD/CD combo drive

Nope, the only thing you're missing is a good motherboard or CPU. Unfortunately there is no way to test which is the culprit, but I would suggest going with whatever is easier to replace. Or just both. =)

At least you know the memory is good.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Nope, the only thing you're missing is a good motherboard or CPU. Unfortunately there is no way to test which is the culprit, but I would suggest going with whatever is easier to replace. Or just both. =)

At least you know the memory is good.
      I RMA'd the CPU today and ordered another of the same one (Athlon II X4 630). I hope it works.

Comment

Working...
      X