Clear All

• Issues with F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD on ASUS P6X58D

Hello,

I recently put together a build that consists of the following:

I7 920
    ASUS P6X58D
    G.skill trident 3x2gb 2000mhz F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD

Other misc stuff

Currently, I have the CPU running at 4.1ghz (195 bclk) rock stable. The RAM runs at 1560mhz, I can't get the system to POST at 1950mhz no matter what I try (I've tried various settings from these forums). I have a QPI of 1.5v, DRAM voltage of 1.64 / 1.66v, and still no good. They are at 9-9-9-24 2T as well, still won't even POST.

With the system running at 4.1ghz and the RAM at 1560mhz, it goes through LinX testing (50 passes) without any problems, flying colors, so it has to be pretty stable.

I followed the settings at http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1166 - different motherboard, but very similar. I put everything in there exactly the same, and it won't POST.

I decided to try out Memtest86 last night with the RAM at 1560mhz, and every time the RAM is in triple channel, the first test hangs at 7%. It does not get past there. I attached a screenshot of what it looks like / where it freezes.

When I take out two sticks and run it with a single stick, each stick gets past that point easily. I'm currently running a long test on one stick, and will do the same for the other two.

So, I have two questions:

1) What can I do to get the system to POST with a speed of 1950mhz?
    2) Why does memtest fail at the same point every time?

Thanks!

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

For memtest, you may want to use hci or V4.0 since 3.5 was made before i7.

Try the following settings:

AI overclock - manual
    OC from CPU level up - auto
    OC from Memory level up - DDR3-2000
    CPU Ratio setting - 17
    CPU Turbo Power Limit - disable

CPU configuration
    CPU Ratio Setting - whichever you chose above
    C1E Support - disable
    Hardware prefetcher - enable
    Adjacent Cache line prefetcher - enable
    Intel Virtualization tech - disabled
    CPU TM Function - disable
    Execute Disabled bit - disabled
    Intel HT Technology - disable
    Active Processor Cores - all
    A20M - disabled
    Intel C-STATE tech - disabled

BCLK frequency - 167
    PCIE frequency - 100
    DRAM frequency - 2000 MHz
    UCLK frequency - 4000 MHz
    QPI frequency - auto

Dram Timing Control
    DRAM CAS# Latency - 9
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 9
    DRAM RAS# PRE Time - 9
    DRAM RAS# ACT Time - 24
    DRAM Timing Mode - 2N
    All others can be on AUTO

EPU II Phase Control - Full Phase
    Load-line calibration - enable
    CPU differential amplitude - auto
    Extreme OV - disabled

QPI-DRAM voltage - 1.60V

IOH voltage - 1.35V
    IOH PCIE voltage - 1.60V
    ICH voltage- 1.20V
    ICH PCIE voltage - 1.60V

DRAM Bus voltage 1.65V

CPU spread spectrum - disabled
    PCIE spectrum - disabled
    CPU clock skew - auto
    IOH clock skew - auto

You can try these settings with one stick at a time to make sure each stick works fine at DDR3-2000.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I do have the latest BIOS for the motherboard (0703) that was posted on Wednesday. Same results there that I had with the previous BIOS.

I tried very similar settings to that, but II didn't try it one stick at a time, so I'll do what you suggested when I get home from work. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Well, I tried all of the settings above exactly, and I cannot get it to POST with any single stick (Tried all three, no luck with any of them) at 2009 mhz.

The only settings I can't find are these, but not sure how important they are:

OC from CPU level up - auto
        OC from Memory level up - DDR3-2000
        CPU Turbo Power Limit - disable

Comment

More info:

dropping BCLK to 150 boots fine with all three sticks (1800mhz RAM) using the above settings.

BCLK 155 and it doesn't POST anymore.

went back to my original settings (BCLK 195, 1563mhz ram) and using memtest86+ 4.0 it gets past any bad points, so that seems to be okay. Going to let this run for a while, but no luck at all past 1800mhz.

Comment

sorry to bump - any other ideas here? I spent a little extra on this memory to run it past 1600mhz

Comment

Post up the settings you are using for 195/1563. We need to find the proper voltages for the setting.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

my settings are very basic right now.

BCLK 195
                PCIE frequency 100
                DRAM frequency 1563mhz

CPU voltage 1.35v (i started at 1.375v, been gradually going down/testing, maxing out at 74C in LinX at 1.35v perfectly stable)

PLL 1.86
                QPI 1.4 (this was 1.5-1.6 when trying to get 2000mhz RAM)
                DRAM core voltage 1.4 (this was 1.66 when trying to get 2000 mhz ram)

Hyperthreading is on with this config, but I've tried it both off and on.

I also have C1E, Virtualization, and thermal maangement stuff turned off. Speedstep / turbo mode are enabled.

Basically everything else is on auto, including all of the memory settings. I tried the settings above that you suggested and it would not POST on any single stick.

Comment

Have you tried the XMP Profile? I'll see if we can have this tested for you so I can send you the settings we use.

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I have not messed with XMP at all, but I will give it a shot and see what I can come up with.

I would appreciate some extra info if you guys have one of these boards to play with - I paired a high performance motherboard with high performance RAM for a reason

Comment

So, I turned on XMP...

Profile #1 was BCLK 143 with a CPU multiplier of 19. 2006MHZ ram. Booted fine.

I left XMP on, changed BCLK to 195, multiplier of 21 (4.1ghz like I currently have), RAM at 1954mhz.. it boots fine.

Currently running LinX to see how stable it is, but this is good news for sure Doesn't explain why my manual settings wouldn't work, but I'll take it...

Comment

Working...
                      X