• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL with Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

My current setup:
    AMD Athlon II X2 245
    Asus M4A785TD-V EVO (bios version 0602)
    G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

I'm trying to increase the cpu speed and having many problems. Memory is correctly setup manually in the bios, I'm using the manufacturer specified memory timings, but have tried many other combinations as well. I can't get this thing to boot at any speed over 210Mhz
    I've been searching these forums and it looks like lots of other people have the same problem with this setup:
    http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=2924
    http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=2564

Just like the others, system won't boot if I increase speed past 210Mhz.
    But I know for a fact that the CPU and the Motherboard have no problem at 220Mhz or higher, because I originally had Patriot memory PDC34G1333ELK, and it ran at those speeds all day with no problems. I switched to the faster G.Skill memory with the hopes of getting more speed.

From other people here, it sounds like I can get more speed if I reduce the memory to 400Mhz. But that would obviously be counter productive.

I am in a good situation, because this is recently purchased, and I can exchange it for F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
    My question is, does the NQ memory experience the same issues that the RL? Or will that solve my problem?
    Asus does list the NQ as a qualified product, but not the RL. So I'm hoping that will do the trick.

As a secondary question: What's the difference between the NQ and the RL? Other than the headspreader, there seems to be no difference at all.

The NQ is very similar to the RL, so it should perform the same. The only differences are the IC chips used, and the heat spreader. You will want to check with AMD to see if that CPU is approved for DDR3-1600.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Well, technically speaking, according to AMD there isn't a single AMD processor currently available that supports greater than DDR3 PC10600 (1333Mhz).

So that begs the question, how could G.Skill have tested and approved the F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL and F3-12800CL9S-2GBNQ for use with AMD products? Considering that both of those are PC12800, and not supported by AMD?

In any case, I'm sure people have made this work before. I just need to know how.
      Or should I be trading in my G.Skill ram for a different brand? The Patriot worked very well, I might try them again.
      Last edited by wedge; 02-25-2010, 09:44 PM.

Comment

They are aware of which will actually work. We simply tested with qualified CPUs such as the Phenom IIs, but most AM3 CPUs should not have an issue. In some cases, a simple HT Voltage increase would solve any instability.

With the proper memory settings in BIOS, frequency, timings, voltage, everything should be able to run just fine.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

What I'd like to accomplish is to get the bus speed over-clocked to 240MHz, With the the memory multiplier set at 666MHz, that should put the memory at exactly 800MHz, which is what it's rated to run at normally anyway.

But If I set the memory to anything except 400MHz, the bus cannot be clocked past 210... any suggestions? Are there any timing or voltage adjustments I can make that would get this working the way I want?

Comment

You may need to overclock the NB Frequency to reach higher memory frequencies with stability.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Well, obviously I'll be overclocking the NB Frequency. I don't have a Black Edition cpu, so I have no other option except to increase the bus speed.

Anyway, I've already exchanged the G.Skill memory that I had for a 4gb 1600MHz Patriot Kit (PVS34G1600LLK). It was more money, but was totally worth it, this memory is awesome! I clocked the board all the way up to 315Mhz and still boot windows! That's just using all the factory recommended voltage settings for the motherboard and the memory, I could probably get more if I start playing with voltages.
              It wasn't stable at that speed of course, but the important thing is that it worked. Now I can finally start overclocking this thing properly.

I can't speak for all G.Skill memory, but the kit that I had (F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL) definately did not work well with my system. It worked great at stock speeds, and set some good benchmark numbers for those speeds. But overclocking is completely out of the question.
              I replaced it with a Patriot kit, and now it's able to overclock with almost no effort at all.

Comment

Working...
              X