issues with F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issues with F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK

hello, i am having some issues with memory and was curious to see if i could get some feedback.

pc specs -
    gigabyte mobo AM3- GMA785GT UD3H
    cpu - AMD phenom 2, 545 calysto (unlocked to quad core at stock speeds, no oc'ing)
    4 gigs g-skill F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK
    ATI - xfx 4890 (not oc'd)
    western digital SATA hd 250 gig
    lite on dvd drive
    corsair 850 psu.

so, when i first built the pc i was getting crashes which after investigating, it seemed to be the memory. i thought i fixed it by setting timings in bios to 8 8 8 21. but then it still was giving me errors. i then reduced the speed to 1066 instead of 1333 and it seemed a bit more stable until i unlocked the cpu to a quad core. i then had some more errors. i tried to set it back at 1333 and memtest didnt last more then a couple minutes before errors popped up. so, even though the motherboard told me to run the chips in dimm slots 1 and 2, i tried to run it 1 and 3. i ran memtest for a half hour and no more errors. i am confused because i thought i would have to use slots 1 and 2 for it to run properly. this ram is listed as qualified from gigabytes website. i have also built about 5 systems in the past couple years with gigabyte motherboards and g-skill memory and never had any issues. those builds were all ddr2 though.

basically what i'm asking is that, is it ok that i run the memory in slots 1 and 3 ? other things i did was change the Row Cycle Time to 35 instead of 33 after reading a review on newegg that someone needed to change that setting as well.

also the stock voltage is supposed to be at 1.5, in bios its reading 1.584. not sure if this is bad or not. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Matt

p.s. i also ran prime 95 to make sure of the systems stability.

The memory should be installed in slots 1 and 2, or 3 and 4, otherwise they will operate in single channel mode.

Try this, with memory in slots 2 and 4, make the following changes in BIOS. Memory Voltage 1.60V. HT Voltage 1.40V. Let me know how that goes.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

ok, i will try and work on it tomorrow some more and get back to you and let you know the results. thanks for the quick response !

by the way, i forgot to mention i put windows 7, 64bit on there for an OS. also, would the ganged or unganged setting have anything to do with all of this. i believe it is set to unganged. thanks.
      Last edited by MattNine; 02-01-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Yes, it should be set to unganged.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

update. i still havnt been able to get over to my brother's house to check the voltages. but he did get one crash last night that might have been direct x related. the error was dxgmms1.sys. from what i read, there is really no real fix or solution besides new video drivers, new mobo, or new graphics card. i think its a problem mainly with ATI and windows 7. some said it could be a bad stick of ram, but i dont believe that at this point. i'm starting to believe all my problems with this build point to the motherboard. especailly since the ram simply wont work in slots 1 and 2 like its supposed too. originally i thought the 600 watt psu was causing the cold boot failures so i swapped it with a corsair 850 watt to rule out a bad psu. also, with my experience with bad ram, usually the machine wont boot with a bad stick. so i guess where i'm at today is i might replace the motherboard . if i do, will this memory work with MSI motherboards ? i was looking at the MSI G45 770. thanks.

Comment

With the proper settings, were you able to test each stick individually? The memory should work fine in that MSI motherboard.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

update- i replaced the memory with a pair of 2 gig ripjaws. i reset the bios to optimized defaults. cpuz is reading some really strange timings, although bios says everything is fine. we had some more windows 7 related crashes. after doing an OS scan, i found out that the OS indeed was corrupt. i couldnt even install 3dmark to test the cpu and gpu. i tried a repair, but windows couldnt repair the errors. i decided to back everything up and reformat using windows xp. with xp i was able to install 3d mark 06 and run thru a whole test with no problems. i am heading back over to my brother's house today to try and get the rest of his games installed along with running some more memtest and prime 95 just for the hell of it. i think i'm going to steer clear of gigabyte motherboards from now on. its just crazy, because i have built a bunch of AM2 platform gigabyte/g-skill/amd pc's and never had these issues. maybe AM3 and windows 7 just dont play nicely, or maybe its the ATI drivers. anyway, i'll post back in a couple days and see if we have any good news, as in no crashes. that would be some relief.

just a quick question, is it ok that these stick run at 1333 even though they are rated at 1600 ? i know i can easily adjust the mulitiplyer and bring them to 1600, but i dont want to mess with it if its going to run stable at 1333. ( Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL )

Comment

No problem with DDR3-1333. You can even downclock the timings to 8-8-8-21 to achieve similar performance results as DDR3-1600 CL9.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                X