Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus P6X58D Premium & 2xF3-12800CL6T-6GBTD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P6X58D Premium & 2xF3-12800CL6T-6GBTD?

Is it possible to run 12GB (2 kits) F3-12800CL6T-6GBTD on an Asus P6X58D Premium? I've read of people having difficulty getting the full 12GB of various brands recognised by their respective BIOSes, although to be fair in some instances that was because of bad sticks.

I recognise that 12GB of CAS 6 may stress the memory controller, in which case I'm happy to drop it back a little, say from 1600 to 1500 or so and let the increased BCLK drag it back up again. I'll be overclocking the CPU (i7 960) but I'm happy to let the RAM run more or less at stock as my reading indicates increased CPU frequency contributes very much more to system performance than increased RAM frequency.

As an aside, I've read there is a restriction on running more than 3 sticks of anything faster than 1600. Is that so and why?
    Last edited by Potoroo; 01-25-2010, 01:23 PM.

You should have no problems with 12GB of that memory package. The reason why anything above 1600 may be an issue is because it gets real stressful on the memory controller. You can tweak the voltages to stabilize it, but it can only withstand so much. 1600 CL6 with 12GB will be extremely fast in itself, so I'm sure you will be satisfied.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
    X