ASUS P7P55D and INTEL i5-750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P7P55D and INTEL i5-750

I would appreciate some advice / help. Over the Holidays, I put together a new computer. It includes the following components:

ASUS P7P55D Motherboard (the no-frills version)
    Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
    Toughpower 700 Watt Power Supply
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5750, 1GB
    CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 ? Retail. Two of these sets = 8GB total.

I started with the idea of only having 4GB of RAM, but found that only 2GB were shown as ?available?. Assuming that the memory was faulty, I ordered two more sticks ? intending to return the first pair. Installing all 4 sticks, I found it knew about the 8GB total ? but only 4GB was available.

Visiting the ASUS, Corsair, Crucial, and G.Skill forums provided the understanding that all was not as simple as building previous computers ? in particular the last two with ASUS motherboards.

The Intel dot com site added the following information:

?What are the Intel? Core? i7 processor and the Intel? Core? i5 processor DDR3 memory voltage limitations?
    Intel? recommends using memory that adheres to the Jedec memory specification for DDR3 memory which is 1.5 volts, plus or minus 5%. Anything over this voltage can either damage the processor or significantly reduce the processor life span.
    What is the maximum frequency for DDR3 memory when used with Intel? Core? i7-900 processor series?

These processors support DDR3 memory with a maximum frequency of 1066 MHz. If faster DDR3 memory is used (such as 1333 MHz or 1600 MHz), it will be down-clocked to operate at 1066 MHz.?

My Corsair memory did not fit with these specs and the Corsair Forum was rife with complaints. This started me on a hunt for stable replacements.

I got the best feelings about the G.Skill Forum and the knowledge and responsiveness of the moderator and tech staff. The product appears to be well thought of, in general.

Therefore, I?m about to place an order for:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9Q-8GBRL ? Retail, costing $189.99 at NewEgg.

My Questions would center about the wisdom of choosing this particular memory, versus others. Also, what settings (if any) would I wish to change ? not looking toward overclocking. Instead - Reliability, stability, and longevity would be my goal for this computer. Underclocking might be considered, if helpful.

I bought my first computer in 1981, but have never dug into the mysteries of RAM memory. My inclination is to stick with defaults ? but perhaps that?s not advisable with this motherboard??

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

I seem to have forgotten to mention the OS. I'm using Windows7 Pro 64Bit

Comment

Update

After reading a rather large number of posts, I decided to revise my proposed purchase of memory to what seemed to me to be the closest agreement to ASUS and Intel's requirements.

As such, I ordered: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
      Dual Channel Intel Core i5 & Core i7 CPU for P55 motherboard.

This was ordered from NewEgg [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0666CL7D-4GBRH ] I purchased 2 packages for a total of 8 Gigs. (Ive come to understand , if you ever want four sticks, you should purchase them all at one time. I also know that 8GB may be a bit reluctant to all play together.

The first set of two I installed, didn't want to post in any combination of positions or quantities. The second set: Installed one stick only = 2GB seen and usable // Installed both sticks in A1 and B1 = 4GB seen and (only) 2 usable

I will continue to play around with this Set and the first Set. However, it seemed best to try some of the settings in: http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1874

Of course, this is not the same memory set that I purchased and I would expect some changes to values.

My first cut at this didn't produce an improvement.

As such, I would be Very appreciative of suggestions from the GSKILL Tech folks.

In other words: HELP!

Comment

Working...
      X