• Only 2/4 GB usable on win7 x64 core i7 860, GB-P55-UD3R

Hi,

I dont really know how to troubleshoot that,

cpu: intel core i7 860
    mtherboard: Gigabyte P55-UD3R
    ram: F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
    psu: 700w OCZ modXstream-pro

Two things:

Windows 7 states that only 2 GB are usable, but it recognizes the 4GB.
    On cpuz, slot 1 and 3 are identified, why windows only using 2GB????

Also, Is it normal that windows 7 gives a performance score of only 5.5 for F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM ???

thx for replying

First, try reseating the memory to see if that will solve the capacity issue. Make sure to firmly press down when installing them. You may also want to try reseatting the CPU as well.

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Make sure to configure the memory settings properly. Or, enable the XMP Profile and that should set everything for you.

Once everything is running smoothly and correctly, you should see a jump in the Win 7 Performance score.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thx for your reply,

I have done some research before posting;

Already tried to reseat the ram multiple times, swapped them, etc...
      Same with cpu... The RAM clipped successfully, i wasnt afraid to press hard since its still all on waranty.

Yes i flashed my bios succesfully to latest revision, the F4 if i remember well.
      I've set the XMP with the proper settings manualy, if i recall its 7-8-7-24-40 (im at work so im not sure but i used your website to find out correct settings.) Also, i read about the 1600MHz cap, so i OC'ed my cpu in order to run the ram at full speed.

Actualy, i used my pc for a week now and everything runs smoothly, i played couple of recent games without any trouble, never had a BSOD so far so i wasnt concerned until i see the performance score and the 2GB usable.

What else is there to try? I think i'll try one stick at a time in DIMM1 and see if it can boot. Do i have to reset cmos (remove the battery for 2-3min) everytime i change a piece of hardware?

thx,

Comment

another question,

a friend of mine told me about the registry key called secondleveldatacache.
        He said i should put the number of stick in decimal...

what is that key doing? Will that help me...?

Comment

No, CMOS does not have to be reset every time hardware is installed. Only if it will not boot with new hardware.

Not sure what that specific key does. Google will probably answer that.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I had a similar issue with this on an Asus Maximum II GENE and so did a number of others who posted on the Asus forums. Check your socket pins and ensure none of them are bent even in the slightest way (specifically in the top right corner of the socket). I know I didn't bend the pins and am sure my board came the way it did so I'm not fighting with Asus for a refund. I went out and bought the P55-GD80 in my sig and had absolutely no issues at all with the amount of memory that's useable.
            Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
            Arctic Cooling Freezer 360
            Asus Crosshair VI Hero
            32GB (4X8) F4-3600C15D-16GTZ - G.Skill took too long getting their act together with their RGB RAM!
            2X Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
            Samsung EVO 960 500GB
            3X Seagate 3TB SATA3/7,200RPM
            LG 16X Blu-Ray/DVD Writer
            SilverStone Strider 1200 Watt
            Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered

Comment

Working...
            X