Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus P7P55D + Ripjaw DDR3-2000 (F3-16000CL9D)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
    Very weird, we have this board here and never encountered that issue. Will contact ASUS to see if they have any idea.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
    Thanks for looking into it...I am interested to hear what they say...(I've called them and they basically had me test each socket with 1 DIMM at a time to prove that the motherboard wasn't causing the problem....then they told me to try replacing the memory. When I first was talking to them they told me that they wouldn't offer me support because my memory wasn't on their QVL...I told them to check the G.Skill site because it lists this memory as qualified for that motherboard...after they checked they agreed to help me a little bit.)

Comment

G.Skill Tech,

Any word from ASUS?

Also, can you please list the bios settings G.Skill used to test the 4gb kit F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH DDR3-1600 on the ASUS P7P55D?

Thanks!

Bishop

Comment

When I tested, did not have to do much at all. Simply changed basic memory frequency, timings, voltage, and everything was fine. Overclock 1700+ was fine as well. Then tried 8GB with same exact settings, perfectly fine, OC was even able to get to 1700 with those settings, except 2N instead of 1N. All tests passed with flying colors. This is all within the rated specs, not loosening timings or anything. It did not need the full rated voltage either.

Reading ASUS email right now. They don't know either because they have not encountered this before. Get a different motherboard and that should fix it.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT
        Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 11-05-2009, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Can you please post the specific settings that I can use as a reference? I want to be able to use this on my replacement set.

Please post settings for:
          i5 750
          F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH DDR3-1600
          ASUS P7P55D

Comment

Originally posted by bishop View Post
            Can you please post the specific settings that I can use as a reference? I want to be able to use this on my replacement set.

Please post settings for:
            i5 750
            F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH DDR3-1600
            ASUS P7P55D
            He'll need to know what you want to clock to on the RAM and the CPU. Assuming they can each clock that far out of spec. My goals are 1950 on the RAM and 3.5 on the cpu...which is where I'm running the 4GB now...while I wait for my other 4GB.

Comment

Thanks. I would like to clock as close to 3.0GHz on the CPU and 1600MHz on the Ram at the specified timings 7-7-7-24.

Comment

Thanks. I would like to clock as close to 3.0GHz on the CPU and 1600MHz on the Ram at the specified timings 7-7-7-24.
                Well...that's not exactly aiming high. When you get it stable, you should EASILY be able to ramp the cpu on stock voltages. I'm getting max CPU temps of 62C (nearly 40C headroom) with a Noctua cooler (didn't try the stock one). It's amazing how well the i5 overclocks considering it's power efficiency. Now I'm wondering if I can push the memory more. Good luck!

Comment

It'll give me a baseline to work from.

I appreciate the help if you can list the specific bios settings for my situation. Thank you.

Comment

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
                    CPU Ratio Setting - 17.0 for 2.72GHz
                    BCLK Frequency - 1600
                    DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1600MHz

DRAM Voltage - 1.65V

DRAM Timing Control (submenu)
                    CAS Latency - 7
                    RAS to CAS Delay - 7
                    RAS PRE Time - 7
                    RAS ACT Time - 24

DRAM Timing Mode - 2N
                    All others can be AUTO

Do you have an upgraded fan cooler? You will simply need to raise CPU voltage and multiplier to attain higher CPU frequency.

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

It'll give me a baseline to work from.

I appreciate the help if you can list the specific bios settings for my situation. Thank you.
                      I'm assuming you just need the settings for the BCLK and Memory.

For BCLK and Memory, the way I dialed mine in was go into the bios, click manual for AI Overclock Tuner. Check your options under DRAM frequency...it will be AUTO plus a few other settings...choose the one closest to 1600...then increase the BCLK until the DRAM value changes to 1600. Then you'll need to adjust the CPU Ratio Setting...where the CPU speed will be the ratio multiplier x DRAM speed.

Here's how the math works. In my case, I have 18 (multiplier) x 1960Mhz (dram speed) = 35280; so in your case it would be something like this:

z x 1600 = 30000
                      z = 30000 / 1600
                      z = 18.75 (or 19)

I'm doing this from memory but I think it's right. Also, the BCLK I use is 196 so it's one tenth the memory speed (and that's effective memory speed...half of the 1960 is the single channel speed).

Comment

Many thanks for the prompt replies. I will start with the 2.72 GHz setting that you provided. If this proves successful, I will try a 3.0GHz setting where I will set the BLCK to 160, the Multiplier to 19 (3.04Ghz effectively). For the 3.04Ghz setting, what would be an appropiate value for the CPU Fixed Voltage (Vcore)?

Comment

For the 3.04Ghz setting, what would be an appropiate value for the CPU Fixed Voltage (Vcore)?
                          I use auto voltage for 3.5 with SpeedStep enabled. It's flawless. Surfing uses almost no power, gaming is full-go. In CPU-Z's hardware monitor program, my cpu voltage fluctuates between 1.05v and 1.31v. 3.0 should be a walk in the park...some are getting to 4.3GHz.

Comment

Is it normal for MemTest86+ 4.00 to show the F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH DDR3-1600 as PC3-10600? The settings you provided didn't work. I received blue screen IRQL and memory errors when running mem test after cold boot.

Comment

I'm confused bishop...whose settings (several were mentioned)? I'm running an older memtest version...if that matters. I never really noticed if it said the correct memory or not...I think it's probably based on the speed settings you're using (?). Did you get your memory exchanged from your initial cold boot issues? I'm still waiting for my 2nd pair to get here, newegg hasn't shipped it yet.

Comment

Hi Gpb,

I was using the settings that G.Skill Tech recommended:
                                AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
                                CPU Ratio Setting - 17.0 for 2.72GHz
                                BCLK Frequency - 1600
                                DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1600MHz

DRAM Voltage - 1.65V

DRAM Timing Control (submenu)
                                CAS Latency - 7
                                RAS to CAS Delay - 7
                                RAS PRE Time - 7
                                RAS ACT Time - 24

DRAM Timing Mode - 2N
                                All others can be AUTO
                                Not sure why memtest 4.00 says PC3-10600 then F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH DDR3-1600 beside it...maybe a bug in memtest with this particular module? In any case, it is getting errors after cold boot using the above settings.

I am doing this testing on the same memory as I have to wait until Monday for UPS to arrange the return of the memory to the retailer I bought it from. I figured that I would try testing different bios settings until the memory was out of my hands in case.

Comment

Working...
                                X