Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe + Core 2 Duo E8400 + F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Per the topic title, I have an ancient system:

ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe (P45 chipset), 2105 BIOS (newest)
    Core 2 Duo E8400

Currently it has 4 GB of RAM, G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBHZ, but only running at 1333 MHz to match the CPU's 333 FSB clock (no overclocking). This machine runs great, but 4 GB of RAM is just not enough these days (a browser can burn up 2 GB with only a handful of tabs). According to the user manual for the P5Q3 Deluxe, it should work with 16 GB of RAM, but the QVL list is terrible (and of course, ancient).

I found and bought two of the G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL kits from Newegg Canada, which are compatible with P45 according to the description.

https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-8gb-24...82E16820231311

However, when I install these, the system won't boot. Won't even start to boot, really. The display never comes on, and there's not even a beep from the system speaker. I tried with just one pair as well, same problem.

I take this to mean that these kits are fully not compatible with this motherboard. Is that correct?

If not, then what can I try to make it work? Or if so (incompatible), is there any G.Skill kit that will work with this motherboard and is still available somewhere? I need 8 GB minimum, but 16 GB is preferred.

Thank you for your help.

Correct, they may have newer DDR3 chips that your motherboard did not get updates for. You will need to return that memory for the ones below.

Two of these should be able to work:

https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-8gb-24...82E16820231422

Comment

Thank you, I will give those a try.

Comment

So...

The suggested kit (F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT) also fails to POST.

I bought three sets, intending to use 2 and have a spare set. I have tried all three sets, with CMOS clears, and none work. Since it's pretty unlikely that 6 whole modules are DOA, it seems like these kits are also fully incompatible with this motherboard and CPU.

Am I doing something wrong? Are there any other options?

EDIT : All 3 kits (2 x 4 GB each) are stamped "2015 Feb" on the hologram, and are populated with chips marked "G.SKILL D3 256MBGE9 1504 G7283Q", in case that matters.

Last edited by NecroCommander; 07-31-2021, 08:59 AM.

Comment

What are the chances that the same kit with a manufacture date in 2012 would work if these 2015 ones do not? Does G.Skill change chips in the same part number over time?

Comment

Did you load BIOS defaults? Sounds like everything is correct so it is quite odd.

Chips can change over time as supply is not same/constant.

2012 date should have better chance of compatibility as they use older chips, however, there should not be any issue with the newer modules either.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
              Did you load BIOS defaults? Sounds like everything is correct so it is quite odd.
              I cleared the CMOS when I swapped out the RAM, so that should restore the BIOS to default settings, right? With the new sticks I couldn't even get to BIOS. No initial beep from the system speaker, no display output.

Comment

Did you happen to test each module individually in the second slot away from the CPU?

Another option may be to track down some used modules from a good source, maybe a computer forum marketplace. That is likely the best place to find good older kits.

Comment

Did you happen to test each module individually in the second slot away from the CPU?
                  Yes, after trying each kit with both sticks, I then tried each stick by itself, using the second slot from the CPU (orange/Channel A, Slot 1). Just to be 100% sure, I also tried a couple of sticks in each of the other slots.

Another option may be to track down some used modules from a good source, maybe a computer forum marketplace. That is likely the best place to find good older kits.
                  It looks like there's an Ebay seller with some kits marked 2012 Aug. I haven't been able to find anything verifiably older yet (except in 2GB modules and different SKUs, which would limit me to 8 GB). I guess I'll try the 2012 ones first.

Any suggestions on a really good forum marketplace where I could actually make a request, in case this doesn't work out?

Comment

What model is the memory from 2012? Which specific models did you look into?

For reputable forum marketplace, maybe overclock.net, Tom's Hardware, builder sites and users that hopefully have a retired set they can offer.

Comment

What model is the memory from 2012? Which specific models did you look into?
                      Same model as suggested: F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT

The date stamp on the hologram is "2012 Aug" in the product photo. I've reached out to the seller to verify that the photo is accurate to what I would receive.

Other models I've found (that are only 2GB sticks) include F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK (4x2GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10600 CL8-8-8-21) and some different brands. The F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK are actually on the Qualified Vendor list for this motherboard, but only in 1 GB single-sided sticks. I don't know if the 2 GB sticks would be safe.

For reputable forum marketplace, maybe overclock.net, Tom's Hardware, builder sites and users that hopefully have a retired set they can offer.
                      OK, thank you.

Last edited by NecroCommander; 08-04-2021, 10:21 AM. Reason: Typos...

Comment

So I can confirm that F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT with a manufacture date of "2012 Aug" also will not boot in this board. Looks like I would need an even earlier-dated kit, or else this product simply is not compatible with the P5Q3 Deluxe, even if it theoretically should be.

I just want to make sure that anyone else who might ever come searching has that information.

However, I did end up finding a 4 x 4GB kit of ancient Crucial Ballistix memory that works successfully. My apologies for referencing the competition, but in this case it just appears that they happened to make a compatible kit at the right time for this very fussy motherboard, and I was lucky enough to get my hands on a set via eBay. I'll stick with G.Skill for my modern systems.

Last edited by NecroCommander; 09-14-2021, 08:30 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Working...
                        X