X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "[Note] RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips"

Motherboard: Asus (ROG) Maximus VII Ranger
    CPU: Core i7 4790k
    RAM: 4x8gb (32gb) G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 2400mhz (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)

Hi, I have a Asus (ROG) Maximus VII Ranger with Core i7 4790k and four DIMM 4x8gb (32gb) G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 2400mhz (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD).
    I bought my G.Skill Ripjaws Kit recently and I'm using the RAM Cooler that come with Kit too but Yeasterday I Run Memtest86 to verify if my RAM is OK and after complete the test I see 0 erros but a message in every Hammer Test that worried me:

"[Note] RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips"

What's is this? My old RAM is 4x8gb (32gb
    ) HyperX Fury 1600mhz and every time I test in Memtest86 I see 0 erros too but no message appear

So, should I worry a about it? What this message means? If it is a bad RAM how can I proceed to RMA? I'm from Brazil

Obs: I'm using XMP profile 1

Thank you
    Last edited by angel7senshi; 12-09-2019, 10:11 AM.

It is explained in the description for the RowHammer Sub Test (Test 13): https://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm#description

So if you don't get any errors listed on the results page for the overall run, while the first pass of test 13 at the highest possible trigger rate had some errors, the second pass with industry standard settings finished with no errors.

You can also mitigate the vulnerability by decreasing the tREFI under a certain threshold, which would result in a clean first pass of test 13 = no more warning message displayed.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

So, Need I decreasing tREFI? But how can I do it without loose performance? If I Just put XMP 1 and change never more, why the test show this message? This is normal for every model Like my model RAM or is mine chips that are not so good chips?

Comment

You don't have to, but you can if the message bothers you. It does cost only a very small amount of memory performance. I did test it back in the days with one of my own systems and the reduction in performance was 1 to at most 3% in synthetic memory benchmarks. So the sacrifice is very small and will not be noticed under normal conditions and general PC usage.

Once again: There is nothing wrong with your memory by industry standards. That is why you don't get actual errors shown in the summary screen of MemTest86.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

So, I think I do nothing about this message, my PC is Just for games and general usage, my worry about his is that this message means something wrong with my RAM like risk of broken or something bad like this, but if it's normal everything is OK, Thank you

Obs: I'll test later with XMP 2 profile Just for curiosity

Comment

Working...
          X