New-to-me motherboard has new possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New-to-me motherboard has new possibilities

I was gifted 3 half-way Ok Pcs about 4 years ago. I parted them out and built an Okay-er desktop. The main drawback, imho, was it only had usb 2.0.
    I got a used mobo off of ebay which allows DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/2133*(OC). It has 12GB of ram, (2x2gb & 2x4gb) @ 1333, now. The plan is to upgrade it to 16gb asap, and 32gb in a few months. The GPU(s) are going to be upgraded also. But I would like to upgrade both the GPU(s) and the Ram to something I can work with in a year or two... or three.

So the question:
    With my current set up, the ram being DDR3 1333, would buying 32gb of DDR3 2133 ram be worth it?
    Or should I just stay at 1333 and get 32gb because I should focus on upgrading the mobo/cpu/ram to ddr4??

I know the cpu socket cant be put into a mobo that works with ddr4. But I dont have the money to fully upgrade everything. That's why I bought this motherboard to begin with. It would accept the cpu, had usb 3, and could use ddr 2133.

A second question for you guys
    Is it better to have 12gb of 1333, or 8gb of 2333? OR should I keep the 2x4gb, and buy 2x8gb of 1333 and have 24gb of 1333????
    The desktop is mainly used for Mugen, Emulators, 3D meshing/modeling, & heavy photoshop. I'd like to try to play newer games, and maybe some video editing, once I get the gpu(s) upgraded.

MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
    Intel Xeon E3-1220 3.1GHz 8MB LGA1155
    NVIDIA GeForce 210
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400 gs
    and 12GB of ram (2x2gb & 2x4gb)
    I'm not exactly sure the make of the 4 sticks of ram. I've looked in DxDiag but it only says Memory: 12288MB RAM. I doubt there's even stickers on the ram to read any details. Hope this helps.

That CPU is limited, so I suggest sticking with DDR3-1333.

Capacity vs frequency just depends on what is more important to you. For capacity, you can also close some things to make space, but if at any point you need to run more than 6-7GB at a time, then of course 12GB would be better. If you never reach that high, then a higher frequency would be better so the system can process faster. It is helpful for tasks you mentioned, however the CPU capability may be limited so getting DDR3-2133 may not be beneficial to you anyway.

Comment

So, With Mugen, I'm not sure how well it's coded. I've never run Task Manager to see how much ram it eats up. I do know that my laptop is 16gb, and the desktop is 12, and the laptop runs it a little bit better. As far as I can tell, the desktop has better specs in everything except ram space.
      I was about to make a profile on MSI's forum to ask some general questions about the mobo I just got. You've actually pre-answered one of them. =]

I'm planning on buying some ram coming up; Obviously G Skill. Do you guys recommend any spots??
      I was going to try my hand at eBay. But idk. I do not like amazon. I usually buy from NewEgg, making sure to BUY FROM NewEgg and not one of those random sellers.
      I am looking through
      https://www.gskill.com/en/wheretobuy/list/us
      But I figure with my need for older ram, there might be 1 spot in particular that's the best.

One of the questions I need to find out about the mobo is dealing with the specs. The website says it supports DDR3 ram
      DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/2133*(OC)
      But those asterisks make me wonder if it's fully supported. Like you said, the CPU could be limiting. And the OC, I suppose stands for over-clocked. I don't like doing that. I'm gonna have to figure all this out some how.

I'm thinking 2x8gb of 1333 might end up being what I get for now. 24gb of ram sounds like enough for a Win 7 setup.

Now I'm just wondering if there's newer CPU socket type that uses DDR3 for when I rebuild this thing down the road....
      Anyone know if there's a CPU that'll go into a motherboard that supports DDR3 and into a second motherboard that supports DDR4????
      I know this is forum for ram. Just throwing out questions.

Comment

Working...
      X