Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL + Rampage 3 Extreme

Hello,
    I have found 1-2 other forum posts regarding this similar subject without any clear answers. So I understand if I also receive the same answer they were given.

I have a Rampage 3 Extreme with an Intel 980x CPU running Windows 10 64-bit. I have been running 2 sets of G.Skill F3-12800CL7T-6GBPi for the last 6 years, which are 6 sticks of 2GB RAM. I love the RAM, but I decided I wanted to upgrade to 24GB of RAM while prices have been fairly low and stock is still available.

I went the route some other have take and order 3 sets of the F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL RAM, which are sticks of 4GB tested in dual channel setup. So the obvious issue is I am using 3 sets of dual channel memory and windows/BIOs is only recognizing 16GB of ram and 4 sticks. However, CPU-Z is showing all 6 sticks of RAM at 24GB but only showing Dual channel, which I suspect is the issue. The Rampage 3 Extreme supports up to 24GB, and I have seen plenty of post with people who had no issues with that much RAM. All 6 of my RAM slots are still functioning properly since I have been running 6 sticks of RAM.

I know most people will tell me I should have simply spent the extra $30 and bought a set of 6 sticks, but I caught these on sale and thought they may work in triple channel since they are all technically the same RAM. I understand RAM sometimes have slight variations that will cause them not to work together.

So my question, for I send these back, is there anything I could try to get these recognized as triple channel? I have checked the settings and everything appears to be exactly the same between the sticks of RAM. The only thing I did notice in Bios, it is running the ram at 1.651 voltage (default settings in the bios, not overclocking anything); I doubt that is causing the issue, right?

I will attach the lengthy report from CPU-Z with nearly all of the details anyone may need.
    Attached Files
    --Windows 10 64-bit
    --Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core
    --ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (bios 602)
    --3x MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 100ME
    --3x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
    --PNY 480GB SSD
    --WD 1TB HDD
    --2x LITE-ON DVD Writer SATA
    --KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1220MA1S 1220W
    Recent-
    --2x G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI

You can boost DRAM Voltage to se if that can help any. Also, swap the modules around to see if a different configuration can work, but if not, you may need to exchange them for a single matching kit of RAM.

Comment

Working...
    X