New memory=no boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New memory=no boot

All my PCs have G.Skill memory in them and always problem free. Until now.
    New memory: F3-1066CL9D-8GBRL DDR3-1333 PC3-1066 4096MBX2
    Motherboard: Gigabyte G41MT-S2P Latest BIOS (F3) G41 chipset
    CPU:Core2Duo E8400 3.00GZ
    Board has only 2 memory slots

I installed Windows 7 quite awhile ago and upgraded to Windows 10 a couple weeks ago. Since I built it it has had G.Skill F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK in it and ran perfectly
    Specs:
    DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
    Timing 8-8-8-21
    Cas Latency 8
    Voltage 1.5V
    But it is only 4gb (2X2GB) and I wanted 8GB to run Windows 10 faster. So I bought the F3-1066CL9D-8GBRL kit, set to the recommended timings 9-9-9-24 Voltage 1.5V.

It will not boot, even with 1 stick in. Upped the voltage to 1.6V. No boot. Lowered the speed to 800mhz. No boot. I don't know what else to try. Of course every time I want to try changing the settings in the BIOS I have to use a stick of the old memory to boot up.

Any ideas before I return the memory to Newegg? I bet the memory itself is OK but there is some setting I am missing?

Thanks so much

EDIT: Been doing some reading. Maybe my BIOS (2011-5 years old) does not recognize the F3-1066CL9D-8GBRL RipJaws since they are fairly new??? Would the F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT set work? Ugh... paying return shipping fees and restocking fees suck
    Last edited by Lipservice; 07-16-2016, 02:52 PM.

I don't think there is anything you can do to make it work. If you can't boot at all with the new kit, then the memory IC density probably is too high for the memory controller of the ancient G41 (basically a chipset/platform limitation).

You can take look at the modules and if you see ICs only at one side of the modules, then 4Gbit ICs were used to produce them. And from my experience some LGA775 models already struggle with the later 2Gbit ones, but even those are no longer in production (-afaik-). So even if the modules were dual sided, a 4GB module or 2x4GB kit might still be incompatible.

The F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT are the usual recommendation for older systems by G.SKILL Tech. I don't know if your board can handle them, but it might be worth a shot.
    Last edited by emissary42; 07-16-2016, 05:30 PM.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

The RipJaws F3-1066CL9D-8GBRL are single sided. My original F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK kit is double sided.

And I see the F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT kit is double sided. So maybe they will work?

Comment

Maybe it does, but i am not a G.SKILL employee so that is just a judgement from my personal knowledge and neither do i own the board or the memory to actually test it for you. So you might as well wait for the next business day and to get an official answer, before you do order another kit.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

I read this about my motherboard
          "The MB uses the G41 Chipset and while it states it can use up to 8 Gig of memory the modules have to made with 128M X 8 Memory IC's and most production nowadays has moved to 512M X 8 Memory IC's which are not compatible with that MB." Make sense?

Comment

Yes, G41 chip set must use double sided RAM to work properly.

Originally posted by Lipservice View Post
            The RipJaws F3-1066CL9D-8GBRL are single sided. My original F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK kit is double sided.

And I see the F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT kit is double sided. So maybe they will work?

Comment

Resolved! The F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT double sided kit works great!

Comment

Working...
              X