No announcement yet.

F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL doesn't underclock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL doesn't underclock?

So, I have an old 775 socket system, but it was cutting edge and seems should be close enough to work. Never had an issue before using faster RAM on a motherboard.

Pegatron IPMEL-BRM (Q43) *forgot to mention XMP is supported.
    Q9400 C2D Quad
    R7 260
    2X2GB DDR3 1066

Trying to add:

Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Just dropping the Ripjaws into the open slots resulted in a long beep and 2 short beeps. I see some Q43 boards would only support 4 banks, which wouldn't be great, since I'd like to use all 4 slots, but I tried only loading one Ripjaws DIMM and still just get a long beep and 2 short beeps. Existing RAM works fine.

What next?

Thanks,

Dan
    Last edited by dbphillips; 06-03-2016, 09:24 PM.

This is the only RAM that can potentially work for that system:

F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT

Comment

Underclocking would not be an issue, since all G.SKILL kits, as per JEDEC standard, have profiles for DDR3-800/1066 as well. However pretty much any DDR3 kits produced nowadays are built from ICs with a too high density for your system. If that is the case, the system will always fail to POST regardless of any memory related settings, because of a hardware limitation of the integrated memory controller.

The F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT that GSKILL TECH mentioned is probably one of the last exceptions.
      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Man, it's getting so you can't count on standards anymore. I can understand DDR3-L, but this is messed up. I'm in tech and still didn't have a clue DDR3 doesn't always mean DDR3. Now I'm stuck with useless RAM, because if I were to buy another desktop or mobo, it would either get bigger sticks or support DDR4. How about calling it high density DDR3?

Even worse, Newegg have 3 reviews that said they worked in 775 boards. And not one that said they didn't...
        Last edited by dbphillips; 06-08-2016, 07:07 AM.

Comment

It is not high density by today's standards, it would have been high density back in 2008 when Intel's Q43 was released. So you could just as well blame Intel for the limitations of the IMC, but in reality predicting tech evolution has its own limits. And let's not even start with economics, especially when Intel's Q43 was already obsolete in 2010 with the transition to AMT 6.0 on LGA1156 and Intel's Q57.

That model number is around for a long time and was produced from lower density ICs when those were still in production. So if those reviews are really old, it would make sense that i worked for people back then.

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
            It is not high density by today's standards, it would have been high density back in 2008 when Intel's Q43 was released. So you could just as well blame Intel for the limitations of the IMC, but in reality predicting tech evolution has its own limits. And let's not even start with economics, especially when Intel's Q43 was already obsolete in 2010 with the transition to AMT 6.0 on LGA1156 and Intel's Q57.

That model number is around for a long time and was produced from lower density ICs when those were still in production. So if those reviews are really old, it would make sense that i worked for people back then.
            So, are you confirming its my own fault, or do your statements take it even further in my direction? How can it be the same model number? It's different. Isn't that a reason to change the model number? In my world of engineering, if it isn't forward-backward compatible, you don't release a revision, you give it a new number. Of course it's not high density by today's standards, it's high by the standard under which it was released: DDR3, which was much lower density when it was released.

I guess I should be like every other dumbass consumer and just return things if they don't work within 30 days, instead of trying to figure it out.
            Last edited by dbphillips; 06-08-2016, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I am not saying it is your fault, was just trying to explain why you were running into that trouble to find compatible memory in the first place.

Since 2008 the DDR3 standard was updated multiple times during the last years to include higher memory frequencies, higher densities amongst other things. With the kit you bought there is nothing you can do to make it compatible, so maybe just return it and try the model G.SKILL TECH recommended.

Comment

Hmmm, so I got the recommended F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT (thanks all at GSkill - great customer support), but I get the same result. After trying to get the new sticks working, I had to clear the BIOS to get the old sticks (my old 2X2GB) to be recognized.

I guess that's the end of the line?

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Comment

It appears to be the latest bios. I think there were only one or maybe two even mentioned on the internet.

What about the age old trick of flashing the modules to set them to the same settings as the current RAM?
                    Last edited by dbphillips; 07-29-2016, 06:44 AM.

Comment

A greater concern is whether the type of chips can work with the motherboard. This we can not change since it depends on the motherboard.

Comment

Working...
                      X