Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Errors with two separate sets of Trident X DDR3 2400 16gb (2x8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errors with two separate sets of Trident X DDR3 2400 16gb (2x8)

I was getting errors and BSOD in Windows with my first set of Trident X. My motherboard was apparently defaulting to 1600 cl 9 9 9 24 at 1.5v. I set the voltage manually to 1.64 and then 1.66 (1.65 is not an option). And I also set the cl to 10 12 12 31. Still getting errors, so I RMAd the RAM. In the mean time, I took a chance and got a second set of the same ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231589 . The second set is also giving me errors in memtest86.

I must be doing something wrong. This is the highest rated ram with the most reviews, and I think it's so unlikely both sets would be bad, but my errors in windows all point to memory issues.

My setup is:
    Windows 8.1
    CPU - Intel core i5 4690k (not over locking ((yet)) )
    Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
    GPU - ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX
    SSD - Corsair LS Series 240gb SATA III
    HDD - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1Tb

RAM - G.Skill Trident X 16Gb (2x8)

It is notable that I was only getting errors on a single stick of ram from the first set and only during the hammer test (#13) in memtest86. I haven't had time to test the two new sticks individually.

Assuming I am doing something wrong. Can someone help with my bios settings before I decide to RMA this second set?

Is the ram that G.Skill sends as replacement tested prior so I won't have to go through this again?

Do you have the latest BIOS? Have you tried to enable XMP Profile?

Comment

I have the latest BIOS.
      No, I wasn't using XMP. Nothing in the memory's packaging indicated I needed to. Product page on the website says XMP is only for overclocking.

Tried XMP, and I'm getting no errors now. Thanks for your help.

What I don't understand is, if this ram requires XMP to function properly, why isn't that indicated on the packaging somewhere or on the product page?

Is this just a property inherent of DDR3 - 2400 memory?

Comment

Basically any memory kit that is specced for something other than one of the JEDEC basic profiles (for DDR3: DDR3-1066 CL7, DDR3-1333 CL9, DDR3-1600 CL11, DDR3-1866 CL13) has to use a SPD extension with an additional enhanced profile. The Intel standard for that is XMP = Intel Extreme Memory Profile. That profile contains the specified memory clock rate, primary and secondary timings + voltage and always has to be enabled manually.

http://www.intel.eu/content/www/eu/e...ofile-xmp.html
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Working...
        X