Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aegis F3-1333C9D-16GIS timings for Gigabyte GA-970-UD3 BIOS F6 AMD965 BE (C3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aegis F3-1333C9D-16GIS timings for Gigabyte GA-970-UD3 BIOS F6 AMD965 BE (C3)

Hi:
    I have been trying to get this memory to run on my old board. I have tried only using one stick, and also lowering speed to 1066

When the thing comes on the first thing I see is a message about how my memory is not working due to overclocking, which I don't do. So that I am not allowed to get to BIOS until I press a certain key. When the computer comes on I get a really long beep and then a longish short beep then the message. When I get to the BIOS I see that the memory speed has defaulted back to 1333. I also am using the timings as shown on the memory stick.

I have a GSKILL 8GB memory set in unganged mode that works well and wanted a little more room so I bought this Aegis. No gaming, overclocking, etc. Just photoshop and MS Office. I got spoiled with plug and play. Anyway, this Aegis memory is the only 16Gb I could find on the GSKILL configurator page. Gigabyte does not have this as one of their approved In fact the memory I have now was taken off the approved list the day after I bought it. .

I hate to send this back if it is not necessary but would like to get the show on the road, so to speak. So I might have to. Any advice? And Thanks for being here whether we get it going or not. I have read a lot of posts here and am only more confused than when I got here but hopefully I'll get the hang of it.

plain

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

Comment

Hi GSKILL TECH:

No it is F6. The later is F7 and there is a F8F beta but that scares me.

So I have made some changes...

Each stick of memory would work in either of the slots designated by literature as 'unganged' so I am figuring there is nothing wrong with memory but when I put them in together I would get the 'overclock' notice right after POST. And when I went into BIOS as I have stated, the memory freq. would be at 1333 even when I had selected and saved 1066 11,11,11. This was even after clearing CMOS by removing battery.

I was starting to conclude the 965BE just didn't want to run this memory so I installed FX8320 I had bought a couple of weeks ago in preparation for some applications I run. Went through testing each stick in each of the slots for unganged and each stick worked okay. No weird beeps or anything. Then I put them both in after clearing CMOS again (I cleared it every time I moved each or both sticks) and everything is great! Then I rebooted and I get 3 longs beeps...Aaarrggghhh!

At this point I was filling out the returns page on N****g and suddenly realized the last time I cleared CMOS and went to BIOS settings on the successful bootup that I hadn't saved the settings. I just figured after pulling the battery there would be no stray BIOS settings and never really thought about saving. So I pulled the sticks, cleared BIOS, installed memory, insert battery, power up and this time at the BIOS pages I saved the configuration and the machine booted up great and has ever since using settings the CPU and motherboard figured out on their own.

So on the GA-970A-UD3 (mine at least) you might have success in this situation pulling the CMOS battery every time to get a clearer picture of what is going on. Just be sure to F10 if you got to BIOS page with no errors. It is strange that the machine wouldn't boot just because I didn't save settings it had successfully booted with only moments before. Settings the motherboard had applied. What had changed? Whatever.

Although I never could get the memory to run on the 965BE I am successful with the FX8320 which I was going to install anyway so all is good. This was yesterday and I ran Prime 95 for a while and will run memtest today to see how it acts. Hopefully, everything will be good.

Thanks for responding. I hope some of the stuff I wrote here will help someone out with an old board.

Comment

Definitely, thanks for contributing to the information bank. Good to hear you got things straightened out.

Comment

Working...
        X