Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC doesn't boot after installing new ram.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC doesn't boot after installing new ram.

I'm trying to do some upgrades on my son's older Dell system. He has an Inspiron 580s,

CPU is an Intel core i3, 3.2ghz
    Chipset is Intel H57
    I can't find the actual mother board info anywhere in the docs, or from the Dell support site. It detects his system fine, but no mb info.

I had to replace his hard drive recently, it died beyond recovery. Since this system is out of Dell's warranty, I went ahead and got a seagate drive and installed windows 8, 64. System is working well, but a little slow since it only has 6gb of RAM installed.

Which brings me to the reason for this thread. I purchased some G.Skill memory, based on the info in the Dell specs:
    Memory connector four internally-accessible DDR3 DIMM
    sockets
    Memory-module capacities 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB
    Memory type 1066-MHz or 1333-MHz DDR3 DIMM;
    non-ECC memory only
    Memory configurations supported 4 GB, 6 GB, and 8 GB

So I got these: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7Q-16GBRL

The system boots, gets to the Dell bios splash screen, about 1/2 through that load bar and then shuts off. It stays off for about 10 seconds, then turns back on and goes through the cycle again. There's no POST errors either, it just shuts off. I know the speaker still works, if I pull out all the ram and try to boot I do get a POST error.

If I'm quick about it, I can get into the bios before the system shuts off. I can see that the memory is recognized at the expected capacity.

If I boot with one stick installed, the system boots to windows. If I try to boot with two sticks installed, the system locks up at the bios loading screen. I have tried each stick in the 1 or 2 stick combo, and come up with the same results. With one, it boots ok, with 2 the system locks up. I have checked the documentation, and verified I am loading the memory in correctly to slot 1+3.

Am I dealing with incompatible memory here, or is there something else I can try?

You may need double sided RAM. The newer type of modules are single sided 4GB, older platforms like the H57 chipset may support double sided 4GB only.

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

The G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT may be a better fit.

Comment

Yes, I have the latest bios. Just flashed it over the weekend to a07.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll get an RMA from Newegg and try out the set you suggested.

Comment

Working...
      X