Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4790K overclocking issues with G.Skill memory...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4790K overclocking issues with G.Skill memory...

I thought I'd seek some help here regarding my issue.

5Ghz is proving to be challenging to stabilize, but I'm close. I've discovered one of the reasons why I'm hitting a wall. I can get 4.9ghz stable easily...but 5Ghz...not so much. I believe the reason has to deal with my RAM or even around my 4790K's IMC.

Per many overclocking guides, I've lowered my RAM down from 2400 to 1333. I can get many stability tests to run for a bit by doing this, however once I bump my memory back up to 2400 where it should be, stability testing fails within seconds.

Why is this?

I've tried many different voltage combinations...including bumping DRAM Voltage up, but nothing seems to help. I've literally hit a wall where increasing voltages no longer helps.

I can easily recreate this issue: Bump RAM back up to 2400, instant fail. Drop it down to 1333 and it passes for much further than having it at 2400 (I cancel the tests early because I'm trying to see what marginal changes have the greatest effect).

Is there something I'm missing here? Some kind of setting or voltage I'm overlooking?

Specs:
    MSI Z97 MPower Max AC (on latest 1.8 BIOS)
    G.Skill TridentX 2400 10-12-12-31 1.65 VDIMM (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)
    On custom water loop.

My settings:
    -4790K at 50x multiplier
    -VCORE @ 1.400
    -VCCIN @ 2.00
    -DRAM Voltage @ 1.65
    -CPU Ring Voltage @ 1.000 (Auto)
    -CPU Ring @ 35x

I can get my system 24/7 stable @ 4.9Ghz at just 1.350 Vcore and VVCIN of 1.960 with my memory at 2400. Why is it when I go from 4.9Ghz to 5.0Ghz I can't get the system stable and I have to drop my memory all the way down to 1333? Again, increasing voltages doesn't help.

I also came across someone who seemed to be experiencing a similar issue using some Corsair memory: http://www.overclock.net/t/1501196/h...rrors-i7-4790k
    In that thread, someone makes mention that the RTL and IOL need to be adjusted.

Is it possible that maybe something is off with timings maybe? Or maybe a timing that can be adjusted to allow 2400mhz @ 5Ghz?
    Last edited by sushiglobster; 02-08-2015, 05:08 PM.

Post some pictures, let's take a look.

Do you have power saving features disabled? Sounds like a CPU stress issue, so it may be some power settings that need to be tweaked to stabilize 5GHz

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Post some pictures, let's take a look.

Do you have power saving features disabled? Sounds like a CPU stress issue, so it may be some power settings that need to be tweaked to stabilize 5GHz

Hey, thanks for helping. I've attached screenshots from the BIOS so you can see what I'm working with. Right now, I just have my 24/7 stable settings in place @ 4.9Ghz, 2400Mhz 10-12-12-31.

Last edited by sushiglobster; 02-12-2015, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Everything looks pretty good other than CPU SA Voltage being strangely low..

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          Everything looks pretty good other than CPU SA Voltage being strangely low..
          Hrm...how high is it suppose to be? Isn't 1.3Volts the highest recommended?

Comment

But in that picture it shows 0.864..

Comment

Yes, it does...but I'm asking what the max safe voltage is for SA. Do you know? I believe it's 1.3.

Comment

For DDR3-2400 you shouldn't need more than 1.0V @ VCCSA.
                Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Working...
                X