• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One stick works, other is difficult to insert + computer won't boot

Model of the motherboard: iMac late 2009
    Model of the memory: F3-8500CL7S-4GBSQ
    Model of the CPU: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I bought two 4GB sticks of RAM to upgrade an old iMac that came with 2x2GB. I'm confident I bought the right type - here are the specs from Apple.

Both of the original sticks and one of the new g.skill ones are fairly easy to insert with a bit of firm pressure. The other g.skill stick was nearly impossible to insert. I spent about 10 minutes trying repeatedly in different slots and pushing hard - my thumbs were still sore the next day!

I finally got it in and switched the computer on with the original sticks in one bank and the two new sticks in the other. It didn't boot, it was just making beeping sounds with a black screen. I then took the difficult stick out and tried with the two original sticks plus the other g.skill one to make 8GB, and it booted up and worked perfectly.

I've left it at that because I needed a break, but do you think it's worth trying anything else (e.g. just the two g.skill sticks without the original 2GB ones) before I return that one stick? I'm thinking it might be faulty: maybe the notch on the bottom is cut slightly off where it should be?

Have you tried flipping the RAM around, upside down?

Comment

Yes, I have, it was definitely the right way around when I was trying to insert it.

Comment

Working...
      X