• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with z97 and

Model of the motherboard: Asus Z97-A
    Model of the memory: F3-2400C10D-8GZH
    Model of the CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K

Problem: Can only boot with one piece of RAM at a time, not both.

Want: Way to use this RAM with this build so I don't have to return it. Rest of the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FN3pD3

Checklist:

1. Yes, checked right slots installed, tried others just in case.
    2. Yes, both RAM work individually.
    3. Tried various XMP setups including under-clocking the RAM both in speed and in Voltage.
    4. Tried manual settings for voltage delivery to the RAM in Bios.
    5. All drivers are updated.

Secondary question: What is the difference between these RAM?
    F3-2400C10D-8GZH
    F3-2400C11D-8GXM

When I go through the g.skill website "configurator" it recommends this memory for the build: http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c11d-8gxm
    However if you pick the memory from the front page specifications the only one listed is the one that I have which is ever so slightly different: http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c10d-8gzh

Both RAM show as compatible with the MOBO on various sites.

Thanks in advance, Biomirth

Do you have any other DDR3 RAM you can test with?

Reseat the CPU and cooler, make sure they are not installed too tight or too lose as it can cause issues. If you continue to have a problem, it may be a defective motherboard, get it replaced and everything should work smoothly.

Comment

Thank you I will try the above.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
        Do you have any other DDR3 RAM you can test with?

Reseat the CPU and cooler, make sure they are not installed too tight or too lose as it can cause issues. If you continue to have a problem, it may be a defective motherboard, get it replaced and everything should work smoothly.
        I reseated the CPU and checked for bent pins. Everything looks fine. Reinstalled and boots fine with the original issue: RAM only works one at a time.

You've said it may be a defective motherboard, which implies there is no issue with this RAM and the Asus z97-a motherboard in general. Is that correct?

Unfortunately I don't have any other DDR3 RAM to try, but I'm unsure as to whether to try 5.0 volt RAM first or simply assume the motherboard has an issue. Any further advice would be appreciated.

Comment

Maybe you can borrow some from somebody? or pick up a set from the store to try, most places allow you to do that with no penalty.

If each module works, there's no reason they don't work together, so chances are high that it is a problem with the mobo. Though it is still an educated guess.

Comment

Working...
          X