Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIOS/Windows now shows RAM size as 60GB and not 64GB.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIOS/Windows now shows RAM size as 60GB and not 64GB.

Model of the motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe (The New One)
    Model of the memory: F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL
    Model of the CPU: Intel 3930k

This is my 4th MB upgrade and this RAM kit keeps having issues. The system has up to date drivers and BIOS. Not overclocking the CPU or RAM. I now have errors/corruption in large file creation and copies. For the first time this kit also now shows the RAM size as 60GB and not 64GB. Not seen that before. I did flash the BIOS with a new version from ASUS that came out after first setup the board but it did not help. ASUS has a newer BIOS but is says it for 16GB RAM or 128GB total and I’m afraid to put that on. This is the second kit, the first kit had similar issues right out of the box. G.Skill support had me try increasing voltages on the CPU and RAM and many other things but nothing worked until we swapped out that kit for this one. This one worked right away. I just selected the XMP profile and no more errors. But its been another year now and about a month ago I started seeing file corruption in large files again. I did try lowering the speed to 1333 and then 1066, this did get the RAM size to show correctly for a time but after a few reboots it’s back to 60GB. I bought an 8GB DIMM to test with (F3-10600CL9S-8GBNT) last time and am able to create the 27GB test file and copy it to all 4 hard drives with no corruption.

Well the new RAM shows the correct amount again after getting the new kit but I now get a black screen lockup once or twice a day with the new kit. The old ones and the one test 8GB DIMM do not do this. Did I get another bad kit? Can G.Skill just not work with an X79 motherboard? My previous kits were fine until about a year and then I have errors/corruption in large file creation. Each replacement kit would fix this for about a year and then it would happen again. This kit is fine with the file creation testing that the others fail at but now the black screen lockups that I’d never had before. Argghh!!

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Did you enabled XMP?

Comment

Yes as always. All stock settings with no OC and I always just use the XMP profile.

Now with this kit I get black screen freezes once a day or so. Normally only once after the turning the system on in the morning. I did see that ASUS released a new BIOS after the one that lets you install 128GB and I put it on the other day, reset the BIOS and used the XMP profile but the issue persists.

I had the last kit and motherboard for some time I never saw this black screen freeze until the new kit was installed.

So I went from what I could clearly see, the RAM size was wrong and errors/corruption in large file creation and copies to this kit and black screen freezes once a day or so. I changed nothing but the RAM kits.

At this moment I'm at 55+ hours running Prime95 with no errors.
        Last edited by Tanquen; 10-15-2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X