• Show
Clear All

• BSOD issues with F3-1866C8Q-32GTX and MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING

Kit: F3-1866C8Q-32GTX
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
    Processor: Intel 4770k (Stock clocks)
    Graphics cards: 2x ASUS R9 290x

Hi,

I'm experiencing spaced out BSODs on my system varying from once a day to nothing for 3 days and then a crash. These can happen when in use or when idling.

By analysing the Minidumps using bluescreenview (report available here: http://inflatablegoldfish.com/bsod/report.html) it seems that the only possible explanation for the crashes is some sort of memory corruption, as the analysis points towards components of Windows itself.

However, I've successfully passed ~15 passes of memtest86+ in addition to 300% pass using HCI Memtest. Due to the infrequency of the crashes I'm wondering if it's a very small issue with the timings / voltages (due to the kit being 32GB).

Timings are currently set using the first XMP profile (8-9-9-24-2T).

Reset BIOS, enable XMP, then test one module at a time to see if they all pass tests and work properly. If so, they should work fine together. The memory should work very well with your hardware combination.

Keep us posted on the result.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I had pretty much the same problem with 4x4 F3-14900CL9 @ both XMP profiles on my z87-gd65. Completly random bsods in 3-4 days.

I tried manually setting the timings and frequency, raising voltage to 1.65, updating the bios to 1A but nothing seemed to solve my problem.

Now I'm using it at 1600 mhz @ 9-9-9-24 1T @ 1.50v. Seems fine so far.

I think this board can't handle 4 overclocked ram sticks.

Comment

Can you guys post pictures of BIOS? That way I can take a look to see if all memory settings are detected/configured as they should be. Sometimes an important value may be off and that can cause issues.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Here are the screenshots of settings.

Ram: GSkill 4x4 F3-14900CL9
          XMP Profile 1 is on
          Everything else regarding cpu and dram is set to auto

Hope these can help.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best

Comment

So?

Any thoughts?

Comment

Manually set these values:

tCL 8 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24 - tRFC 320

Let me know if it works better.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

At 1866 mhz? And do i have to add some voltage?

The xmp profile for my 4 sticks of ram is 9-10-9-28 @ 1866 mhz 1.5v. Would it run with that tight settings?

Comment

Well in your first post you clearly stated you were using G.SKILL TridentX F3-1866C8Q-32GTX and thats a DDR3-1866 8-9-9-24 Part using 1.60V.

So did you swap out that kit for another one?

Edit: My bad, you were hijacking the thread of another user. Thats why *lol* So which kit is it exactly?
                  Last edited by emissary42; 07-08-2014, 04:23 AM.
                  Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Haha yea. Sorry for that. I ended up here commenting the OP's situation. But then G.Skill support appeared and said "Can you guys post pictures of BIOS?"

Since he used the word "guys" I thought it would be fine to post here.

I actually had a thread of my own before. But I couldn't get it resolved here and started using it at 1600 mhz with 9-9-9-24 1T timings.

So my kit is 4x4 GB RipjawsX F3-14900CL9 1866mhz

Comment

So its these? http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-14900cl9q-16gbxl

I'll leave the rest to GSKILL TECH since he has the possibility to check the kits standard XMP timings. The settings the board applies look ok to me, if it is a dual sided kit. Otherwise the kit might need a higher tRFC like what was suggested for the 4x8GB TridentX kit (you could just try it of course, but its more or less guesswork on my end).
                      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Yes that's the one but sadly it's two seperate kits (2 of those 2x4 GB) but exact same models. So do i need to increase tRFC?

Right now at 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24-130 1T it's fine. But couldn't find a proper setting to run at 1866 mhz. What would tRFC do for stability?
                        Last edited by supertramp; 07-08-2014, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Yes, but it won't need to be as high. Set it to 280.

Don't forget to adjust all the other settings as well, then let us know how it goes.

Hopefully the two kits can work well enough to run at DDR3-1866, if not, DDR3-1600 may be best.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                            Yes, but it won't need to be as high. Set it to 280.

Don't forget to adjust all the other settings as well, then let us know how it goes.

Hopefully the two kits can work well enough to run at DDR3-1866, if not, DDR3-1600 may be best.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH
                            Trying this @ 280 since yesterday. And so far so good.

So is this the actual tfrc timing of 4x4gb package?

Comment

Yes, some hardware combinations require a slightly higher setting, so manual tweaking is necessary. But once that is done, there should be no problem at all. Hopefully that solved it for you, let us know if you encounter any other issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X