Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-19200CL10Q2-64GBZHD and Asus Rampage IV Extreme

Hi, all!

I have an Asus Rampage IV Extreme (BIOS v4802), with a F3-19200CL10Q2-64GBZHD kit. The CPU is an Intel Core i7 4930K (not overclocked). Currently, the kit is running at 1333MHz because I couldn't get it to play BF4 stably at either 2133MHz or either of the "2400MHz" XMP profiles (#1 @ 2401 or #2 @ 2399)

The problem I have is that after a while of playing (varying in duration, maximum of ~45 minutes, minumum of ~15 minutes) the system suddenly shuts off. When POST-ing back, I get "overclocking failed" as the message and the prompt to hit F1 to go back into the BIOS.

I've tweaked the VTT and VCCSA voltages to both 1.25 and 1.275 - with no effect.

The memory kit is QVL'd (by G.Skill) to work with that motherboard - it's the only reason I bought it.

Strangely enough, I'm able to leave the computer running memtest86+ overnight for >8h, without a single error using XMP #2 (2399MHz). However, it seems to be no match for BF4 or Batman: Arkham Origins.

I do have the extra voltage plugs for the DRAM and PCI-E bus connected on the mother board (2 x 4-pin jacks near the back of the MB), and the PSU is a Silverstone ST1500 PSU which should be more than a match for the task at hand.

Can you offer assistance?

Thanks!

Try more VCCSA Voltage; some i7-4930K CPUs need 1.30V.

Post screen shots of BIOS if you continue to have an issue. This RAM should work flawlessly with that motherboard and CPU.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok...so I've been testing it out, and while it's a little more stable, it still crashes after a while (2 hours this time), in the exact same manner as before.

Attached are the screenshots I took when I applied the BIOS tweaks attempting to bolster stability (cropped to just the nitty-gritty, else they were too big to upload). They are the summary version of the changes made to the BIOS, as opposed to actual screenshots of the BIOS, since this is a more efficient format (I think). Let me know if you need the actual screenshots instead.

Hopefully you can help me figure this out. On the other hand, the machine didn't power off this time, it just hard-froze with the displays in black as if the video cards had been disabled. The fans were still going at full bore, though.

Cheers!
      Attached Files

Comment

Forgot to mention, I've already upgraded to BIOS 4804 since about a week and a half ago.

Comment

It appears that the rumors of stability were simply a product of insufficient testing. I had not been able to play as much recently on account of being too busy with work and not having enough time. Today, things came to a head and I was crashing after 10-15 minutes of play.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

I keep hearing that this may be a PSU issue but since it's a 1500W PSU and it should be way under-loaded, plus a model that has worked well before, I'm reluctant to accept that as the solution.

Please help...I'd dearly like to not have to return the memory...

Comment

Either try to get DDR3-2133 stable or raise VCCSA Voltage to see if you can get DDR3-2400 stable.

Or test the modules individually to make sure they can all pass properly at DDR3-2133 or DDR3-2400. If so, they should all work fine together.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

What about the other BIOS settings I have set? Should I remove any? Alter anything else? How high can I safely go with the VCCSA voltage? What about VTT (and second VTT)? Should I play with those as well? How high can I safely go with those?

Comment

I'm noticing increased stability when SLI is disabled. While I can definitely leave it off, it defeats the purpose of the hefty investment in 2 video cards. Can you offer any insights that might help boost stability with SLI enabled?

Video drivers are already updated to the latest version, etc. The PCI-E extra voltage plug is also connected (just in case).

Thoughts?

Comment

Leave them as is and test to see if the system is stable.

VCCSA Voltage should be good for up to 1.35V.

Boost the GPU Voltage slightly to see if that helps

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Still not stable in SLI, despite raising the voltage for both GPUs. Any other ideas?

Comment

Bump... can you help me here?

Comment

Originally posted by GoatHumper View Post
                        I'm noticing increased stability when SLI is disabled. While I can definitely leave it off, it defeats the purpose of the hefty investment in 2 video cards. Can you offer any insights that might help boost stability with SLI enabled? Thoughts?
                        I do think, it is more a motherboard than a memory problem. Enabling SLI should not impact memory stability in a negative way.

Maybe the ASUS support has an idea or two about that?
                        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Ok...now it's not stable with SLI turned off, and I haven't changed a thing in the BIOS. I get the feeling I may have wasted $1000 on this memory...

Any ideas?

Comment

Have you tried to contact ASUS? They may have a better idea as to why the system is less stable with SLI enabled.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

I will contact ASUS, however the problem also appears to manifest without SLI now... this just keeps getting more...fun...by the minute...

Comment

Working...
                              X