GSkill F3 Memory Module(s) Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSkill F3 Memory Module(s) Bad?

Hello. I've got four of these current installed on my mb: GSkill F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH

Been getting an occasional bsod lately, page_fault_in_nonpaged_area stuff. Last night while I was watching a video it just froze up, there was some buzzing noise, the screen got scrambled, and there I was looking at another bsod.

I ran memtest and kept getting error messages: copying data between x and z did not result in accurate copy, your computer cannot accurately store data in RAM; and "Pair 236...does not store values accurately." That kind of thing. I ran Memtest86+ on all four modules at once and only for one pass, but it did find 2 errors.

I don't think I've ever had a memory module go bad on me in the couple decades I've been using computers - just lucky I guess! - so this is all a bit new to me. I gather my next step is to try to test each module separately with memtest86 to try to isolate exactly which module(s) is bad?

Thank you

Well you may or may not have a bad module, when you mix two separate kits it can sometimes cause errors. There is a reason they sell 4 stick kits. Best advice is to run memtest on all 4 sticks separately and see if any particular stick throws errors, if it does you can rma it and the other stick that came with it. If not try ensuring the pairs are running on the same channel, IE: slot 1/3 with one kit 2/4 with the other
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Yes, and if a module appears defective, feel free to send them in for RMA exchange.

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by supahos View Post
        Well you may or may not have a bad module, when you mix two separate kits it can sometimes cause errors. There is a reason they sell 4 stick kits. Best advice is to run memtest on all 4 sticks separately and see if any particular stick throws errors, if it does you can rma it and the other stick that came with it. If not try ensuring the pairs are running on the same channel, IE: slot 1/3 with one kit 2/4 with the other
        So you're saying the only really reliable way to ever add more memory to your system is to get rid of any existing modules and buy all new ones? I've never done it that way in the past and never had problems, but I'll take your word for it. As I said before, maybe I've just been lucky! But in any case, I've been using all of these modules together for at least the last three years and haven't had any problems until recently, so I'm leaning toward just one or more of them just having gone bad.

EDIT: OR...maybe it was something as simple as the sticks not being properly paired! I can't be sure whether the sticks weren't paired right to begin with, because I took all the modules out a couple days ago to clean the case out (after I had started having problems), so I might have put them back in wrong then, but when I checked them just now they were definitely not paired right. And again, if they had been paired wrong from day one, I'm not sure why it would not have become a problem before now. BUT they are paired right now, for sure, and I'm running MemTest again and I've gotten to almost 20% completion without any errors, whereas before I got errors within the first minute. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
        Last edited by imno007; 03-06-2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X