Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR - Memtest Errors on 1 Stick

Greetings all...

I have the Sniper 8GB Kit - F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR.

Bought it in November 2011, and has been flawless ever since...

Both sticks have been running at Timings CAS 8-9-8-24, for the past year without any problems...

Never once experienced a bluescreen, until just a few days ago. Something about it made me think it was either my GPU or my RAM... so I downloaded the latest Metest x86+ ver5.01 onto a bootable USB flash drive and ran some tests.

First with both sticks.

Errors almost within the first few minutes...

Then took one stick out, and left one stick in, and reran the test, and got errors IMMEDIATELY upon the test starting, almost within seconds...

Ok, so took that stick out, and put the other stick back in, and restarted the test... and after nearly 7 hours and 11 passes, no errors.

So, I can only conclude that the 1 stick is bad.

I am, rerunning the tests at default 9-9-9-24 timings just to be sure...

I've already submitted an RMA request, but I am also wondering if perhaps there is anything else I can do to test the presumably bad stick just to confirm?

For the record, I have an i5-2500K at 4.6ghz, and an ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard.

Ok, I've been retesting both these sticks, again one at a time..

This time however, I've tested them both in the same DIMM Slot on my motherboard, as the first round of tests were done in seperate slots, both at Timings CAS 8-9-8-24.

This time, I also reset CAS Timings to default, 9-9-9-24.

Stick 1 survived 6 hours testing, no problems.

Removed Stick 1, and replaced it with Stick 2; which is the stick that originally received immediate errors on the first pass with the first round of tests the previous night...

This time Stick 2 survived pass 1 with no errors, which I found interesting, so I then went back and reset Timings to Cas 8-9-8-24... and retested both sticks on Pass one.

Stick 1 passed.

Stick 2 - immediate and numerous errors throughout the 2600mb - 2750mb range.

So it would seem Stick 2 no longer likes having its Timings tweaked, and it does not matter which DIMM slot its in...

While Stick 1 works flawlessly regardless of Timings...
    Last edited by Nyarlathotep75; 02-24-2014, 07:57 AM.

Comment

What Voltage are you using for 8-9-8-24? Raise it a little bit and see if it can be stable. 1.60V is ideal.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ah, I had kept it set to its default 1.5v... didn't think such a small tweak to the timings would require much more... and it had been working fine until recently.

I'll retest later tonight when I get home from work, with the voltage at 1.6 as suggested and then report back the results!

Comment

Ok! Retesting both sticks, one at a time...

CAS 8-9-8-24
          Voltage @ 1.6

Stick 1 survived the first Pass with no problems...

Stick 2 immediately threw up the RED! Constant, nonstop failures in the same MB range immediately on starting the first pass.

Reset all settings back to defaults, 9-9-9-24 @ v1.5, and retested Stick 2... and it seems to not have any problems; though mind this is only 50% into the first pass, it is well passed the point where it would fail on the previous settings.

Sooo, I'm a little unsure about it.

I previously stated that I had already filed for an RMA before my registration here was complete and I was able to post...

Should I go ahead and do the RMA then; and should I only return the bad stick? I sorta need to have my PC functioning, and it can run off 1 good stick...

Or is there any way I can get my RMA changed to some sort of Advanced Status, where I pay a deposit to have the replacement shipped to me first?

Comment

As previously stated, while on default settings.... 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v... there are no errors on the first pass.

Ok so I left that Stick testing over night, at default settings, just to be sure if it.

It has so far completed 8 passes, with no errors. So I'm a little confused as to whether its really a bad Stick or not....

Comment

Still awaiting further instructions!

Comment

Yes, please send the memory in for RMA exchange and a new kit should work better.

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok soooo

I already got the RMA number, but... Like, is there a way I can get my RMA Number converted to some sort of "Advanced RMA" .. where like I pay you guys a deposit for sending me the replacements first...

Or can I just send in the one bad stick?

I sorta have to keep my system up and running here, and can't really afford any down time with it.

Comment

Bump?

Can I get my RMA # changed to "Advanced" RMA Status?

I need the replacement kit sent to me first!

Comment

Ok Nvm!

I just borrowed one of the two DDR3 Ripjaw kits that I have in my girlfriends computer, and I'll use that to keep mine running while I send both my Sniper sticks in for further evaluation... and will also include a print out of this discussion thread so your RMA guys have all the info they need!

Comment

For RMA information, always contact the RMA dept. so things are clear and they can set things up properly on their end. This helps avoid any confusion as well.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                        X