32GB RAM Instability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32GB RAM Instability

I have a Asus Z87 Deluxe board with 4770K OC to 4.6 at 1.29v. I had the system running stable with a TridentX 2x8gb Cas 10, 2400MHz kit. I then bought another of the same kit and installed, but now seem to be getting random WHEA crashes. Nothing else has changed. So I think its the memory.

Any ideas on how to solve?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by SToronto; 01-05-2014, 08:03 AM.

My original 2 sets of 8GB from G.Skill would cause me BSOD's, but never if I only used 1 set. Both sets never gave any memtest errors. Both sets worked on my friends computer, and both of his sets (8GB each as well) ran fine on mine.

I had to RMA both sets, hoping for a factory matched replacement (it wasn't), and hope those would not BSOD me anymore. It's too early to tell (been only several days), but it seems to be working fine. However, I noticed the default specs are changed a bit. I actually created a thread about it if you want more info

So yes, I would highly assume it's the 2nd set. I would go to the retailer you bought the set, and ask for replacement, tho not sure if your first set could be at fault and not play nice with a 2nd pair. I have learned my lesson to never try and upgrade my memory by adding more later on. Just buy as much memory you think you would need until you are ready to upgrade the computer all over again.
    Last edited by Flash; 01-05-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
      My original 2 sets of 8GB from G.Skill would cause me BSOD's, but never if I only used 1 set. Both sets never gave any memtest errors. Both sets worked on my friends computer, and both of his sets (8GB each as well) ran fine on mine.

I had to RMA both sets, hoping for a factory matched replacement (it wasn't), and hope those would not BSOD me anymore. It's too early to tell (been only several days), but it seems to be working fine. However, I noticed the default specs are changed a bit. I actually created a thread about it if you want more info

So yes, I would highly assume it's the 2nd set. I would go to the retailer you bought the set, and ask for replacement, tho not sure if your first set could be at fault and not play nice with a 2nd pair. I have learned my lesson to never try and upgrade my memory by adding more later on. Just buy as much memory you think you would need until you are ready to upgrade the computer all over again.
      Yeah from what I am reading sounds like that is the case. Luckily I am within the return period and can return both kits and get a 32gb kit, so those should be matched up. However I am thinking to not go 32gb and stick with 16gb kit. I've been reading its a lot harder to overlock 4770k with 4 sticks vs 2 and I don't think I'll need 32gb.

Comment

Working...
      X