Reducing speed from 2133 to 1866

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing speed from 2133 to 1866

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, I wanted to try and get some experienced or knowledgeable opinions on some settings. I was able to pick up 2x4GB 2133MHz of RipjawsX RAM (F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL) for a very good price, and it was actually cheaper than the 1600MHz I was looking at, so I figured what the hell.

Problem is, my motherboard is max 1866. I can't recall what exact model the motherboard is other than it's an Asus, but my CPU is an FX-6300. I've overclocked CPU's before, but I haven't played around with RAM speeds much. My question is, if I am going to run at a lower speed, do I have to play with voltages, timings, etc? I don't know if I should keep things the same and just decrease to 1866 or what...haha. I was hoping maybe some people have done this before and could share what settings they used, or shed some light on this for me. The parts don't get here until next week, but I thought I would try and prepare best I could.

Thanks!

Before underclocking that kit, give the ASUS D.O.C.P. feature a shot. If it works, then there is no need to fiddle with manual timings @ DDR3-1866 (~ 9-10-9-27 1T @ 1.50-1.55V).
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Hi,

If you wanna plug and play, you could just set everything as Auto................................... just kidding

Every setting depend by what you need, if you want to OC to play 2133Mhz, and you may need to adjust the DRAM voltage/timing...
      Or if you just want to stay with board limit, you could tweak the speed to 1866Mhz with 10-11-10-30 or 9-10-9-28(1.5v~1.6v)
      Hope you can share the experience when you done!

Good luck

Comment

I am wondering if I am not having ram issues... getting random restarts, sometimes just randomly, and every time on stress tests. Memory tests okay, but wondering if that still isnt the issue. The longer I play with this, the more rum I drink and this becomes even harder. HELP ME BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE. lol. Been rooting around on forus and a lot of people with these same issues have ram problems.

EDIT: just boosted ram voltage and made it through some decent stress tests... maybe this is what the problem was. More rum and testing necessary.
        Last edited by syn3rgy; 01-03-2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

So last night when I finally was able to run some benchmarks without the machine restarting, I had 1866MHz 10-11-10-30 @ 1.54v. Seemed pretty stable, then randomly crapped out today. Now I am trying @ 1.55 to see if that'll help. seems like it's coming along though.

Seemed fairly stable until I ran through prime95 and crapped out like 2 minutes in...lol No error codes though, which sucks.
          Last edited by syn3rgy; 01-04-2014, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Should I be boosting other aspects of system up as far as voltage?? Seems like no matter what I try now, any settings with RAM, craps out in prime95 after about a min. Could this be poor CPU voltage? My BIOS confuses the hell out of me- instead of saying CPU voltage, it's listed as "CPU Over Voltage" and when I add voltage it starts at .9375 (same goes for VDDNB Over Voltage, except it starts at a lower voltage). Does this mean my entire voltage??? Eugghh.. lol, probably wrong forum to ask that in.

Comment

Working...
            X