ASUS P5QC+Ripjaws 2x4GB issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P5QC+Ripjaws 2x4GB issues

Hi there, hoping someone can help. I've been running low on memory with my old memory (2x4GB DDR3-1333) in place while trying to use BF4, so I upgraded a few days ago to the F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH (saw it recommended HERE). Everything seemed OK until I ran the game for a few minutes. I've gotten more BSOD's than you can shake a stick at (snapped photos of a few, but each one is a bit different). Come to think of it, I'm not sure if this PC has ever (in 4-ish years) bluescreened on me until now. I let the computer run for a while without running BF4 and I've gotten it to bluescreen while running other less-intense 3D games, while running stress testing software (P95 I think), and also while doing nothing-in-particular. In the meantime, I tested with the Windows memory test (seemed to hang for a long time around 21%; maybe should have let it go longer?) and memtest86+ (ran two full cycles overnight with no errors).

I definitely had the memory plugged into the orange slots, and DID try switching the modules and reseating them.

Any ideas? I really appreciate the time you folks put in, by the way.

Motherboard: ASUS P5QC (BIOS 2103)
    RAM model: F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
    CPU: Intel Core2 Quad 9650
    GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N680OC-2GD GeForce GTX 680

By the way, I haven't tried any kind of overclocking on this system. I DID try specifying the RAM frequency in BIOS after the first few errors, but there were more slots for timings than I knew what to do with, so chickened out rather than make a mistake.
    Last edited by p1r0kun; 11-03-2013, 08:16 PM. Reason: Corrected URL; Added GPU & BIOS info

I can't imagine you actually ran out of memory just gaming on that computer unless you have other fairly big resource hogs on it. I would think the most likely bottleneck would be your cpu (dear lord at having a GTX 680 with that processor.) But back to the question at hand, try running the memory at 8-8-8-24 and see if that helps anything, and try upping the dram voltage to 1.55v and see if that clears anything up.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Post some pictures of BIOS and we can take a look. With an older motherboard and newer RAM, it is possible that the motherboard is not utilizing the correct sub-timing values.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you both. FYI, I've been surfing the web using the ripjaws for the past few hours using the settings that supahos provided, and haven't had problems yet. I've been using it VERY gently, though. Here are the photos, first of the auto settings:

Auto:

And then 3 screens worth (yikes) of my manual settings. You'll notice that my voltage isn't 1.55 as suggested but rather 1.54, because it only increments by .02v.

Manual settings page 1:

Manual settings page 2:

Manual settings page 3:

Comment

1.54v is fine 1.55 wasn't anything specific, just trying to give it a lil boost to try and stablize things. Everything looks okay to me for the most part. If its stable leave it alone. Tech/emmisary/tradesman can tell you more later if something seems really out of whack.
          ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Thank you all so much. I tried to run it through the wringer last night and don't seem to have had any of the problems that I had been having, especially not crashes. I'll keep running these settings and monitor it, but the settings have definitely helped.

Oh, and the video card story, in case you're curious: I've been thinking of upgrading my system for a while and wanted a video card I'd probably be able to keep. I know, it probably makes no mathematical sense to get something that crazy... my last card was a BFG GTX 280 (285 maybe?) which screamed but the system couldn't quite handle everything on high settings. This one does pretty well, until it seemed to run out of memory playing BF4 (I probably should have tried clearing some garbage first, but the number of hard faults was enough to make my head spin). Figured it'd be nice to have some free space to play with, and the heatsinks on my last set made maneuvering in the case very difficult... and here we are!

Again, thanks so much!

Comment

I know how that goes, Most games are pretty much GPU bound these days anyway, so it is more useful to upgrade the video card first if you're going to do a prolonged upgrade. Its not like that cpu is a hunk of junk anyway. I assume you already have since you spoke of your large cooler, but if not you should OC the processor some. You're one of the few that it would actually help as I think that GPU can bog that CPU down.

accorinding to toms hardware, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...n,3487-20.html, your cpu at 3.4 ghz is about the same as a mid/top level Ivy bridge I3
              Last edited by supahos; 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X