Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question regarding Trip channel RAM in Quad channel mobo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question regarding Trip channel RAM in Quad channel mobo...

So a while back I purchased 24GB of this RAM for my x58 system:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL

I am planning to upgrade my EVGA x58 classified motherboard to this one :

Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition, the new one that is about to come out. However this new motherboard just happens to be a quad channel motherboard, so my question is really two fold, if I install all 6 modules of the above (triple channel) RAM in this new motherboard (if its even possible) what would be the downsides to it as opposed to quad channel RAM, and also will it still run at the designed speeds and the correct amount of memory be utilised???

thanks

Martin

With six modules you can saturate all four channels, so you will be getting the full quad channel performance. Just try it out.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

cool

...I didn't think that would work as the 6 modules would be tri channel 3 sticks each running at triple channel rates but if you think it will work.....sick!

thanks.

Comment

Just try four vs six modules out of your hex kit in the new system and compare bandwidth and latency between both configurations
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thx.

Will do thx and if it works it'll save me buying more RAM.

Comment

It should work fine, enable XMP and everything will be ready to go.

Instead of having 2 quad channels, you will have 1 quad channel only with 2 extra modules. Performance will be the same as a quad channel DDR3-1600 kit, but the system will perform faster with the same RAM compared to your X58 since the new CPU and motherboard is much much better.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X