Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 32GB Overclock fail

Hi all,

Just looking for some thoughts on this issue. I built my new rig a few months ago now. I have a Asus Maximus VI Hero mobo. The only "tweak" I did in UEFI was set the profile to XMP, so it would auto OC the RAM to 1600. I checked all the timings it set and everything seemed correct (9 9 9 24, 1.5v). For a few months everything was great, then this morning I got an "overclock fail" and had to go directly into UEFI.

What could be causing that issue, as all the settings that XMP bumped it too match the timings of the actual RAM (F3-1600C9Q-32GSR) specified by G Skill.

I reset the ram back to default, then tried booting up. There is now a nagging issue at boot up. After the ASUS splash screen, there is normally a split second of seeing a blinking underscore like in DOS. After this OC fail, it now takes my computer 4-5 seconds to boot past that to the windows splash screen, when before it was nearly instantaneous.

I have set the RAM back to the XMP profile for 1600 and it seems fine again, but also still takes 4-5 seconds to get to the windows splash screen. So whether it is 1333 or 1600 it doesn't matter, that lag exists now, when it did not before.

I am going to run memtest, but are there any other things I should be on the look out for and why the heck does it take my PC that much longer to boot now?

Relevant specs:
    ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
    G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 32GB
    I7 4770 @3.4 (stock)
    SSD 120G CRUCIAL CT120M500SSD1
    Win 7

Thank you for your help in advance.

LB

test one module at a time to see if one performs differently.

For the delay, make sure any pre-Windows features are disabled in BIOS like unused controllers, etc. Disabling features you do not use can greatly improve boot up time.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
    X