GKill RAM Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GKill RAM Not Working

I have now bought two separate sets of G.Skill RAM from Newegg for my computer and neither one works!

The GSKill RAM that arrived today is
    Mem 4Gx2\GSkill F3-10666CLD-8GBRL
    I plugged them into my computer and they do not work.

My Computer is an ASUS desktop.
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    ASUS Motherboard: M4A78LT-M-LE (AM3)
    This accepts 240 pin 1333 mhz ram and can accept up to 8GB of ram.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is? What can I do?This is a nightmare.

Thanks for your help

By not working, i take it as it does not POST or boot into windows. Did you set the timings and voltage yourself in Bios ?
    This cat scratches free.
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4ghz Offset - 0.015v | Asus P8P67 EVO | 12gb GSkill RipjawsX F3-14900CL8D-4GBXM 2x2gb & F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL 2x4gb 1866 9-10-9-28@1.6v | AMD HD6850 1GB | Enermax Infiniti 650w (28a,28a,30a) | 2xWD500 Caviar Black & Blue | CM Haf-912 Advanced | Noctua NH-U12P SE + Akasa 12cm Viper | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 | AMD Catalyst 13.10b

Comment

I think you're going to have to boost the memory controller voltage in order to get them stable. Try a single stick first and see if it will boot we can play with settings once we know both sticks work by themselves. Test them each by themselves if they boot at all. Also update the bios on the motherboard to the most recent one. That is a rather old board if you have an early version there may have been many updates.
      ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Sorry-"Not Working" means that once I plug in the new ram sticks and turn the machine on, it powers up but the keyboard, mouse and monitor do not turn on/respond which I assume means the ram ain't workin'.

When I put the old ram back in, the system starts up fine. I did try putting in one stick at a time but nothing happened. I think I have the old bios only from 2009 and there are new ones. I'm a total noob regarding bios anything so I'm at a loss as to how to get to them, change or update them.

Thank you guys so much for help. I really appreciate it. What would we do without the web?

Comment

Check Asus Update utility from your motherboards support page. I'm not sure if it's for the drivers or bios, they never supply screenshots or proper info. There could be an utility for bios on the CD that came with the board.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A78LTM_LE/#support

PS: What's your current/OLD RAM speed and timings btw ?
          This cat scratches free.
          Intel i5 2500k @ 4ghz Offset - 0.015v | Asus P8P67 EVO | 12gb GSkill RipjawsX F3-14900CL8D-4GBXM 2x2gb & F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL 2x4gb 1866 9-10-9-28@1.6v | AMD HD6850 1GB | Enermax Infiniti 650w (28a,28a,30a) | 2xWD500 Caviar Black & Blue | CM Haf-912 Advanced | Noctua NH-U12P SE + Akasa 12cm Viper | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 | AMD Catalyst 13.10b

Comment

I would put the old ram in, and go to the asus site (www.asus.com go to support and download) and get the latest bios and upgrade it. Maybe they added better memory support after board release. Usually you have to put it on a USB drive, restart, enter bios, and somewhere there should be a bios flash utility to upgrade it. Note: you have to unzip the file before it can be used to update so unzip it then put the unzipped file on the USB drive.
            ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Thank you all for your help. The issue has been solved: the new ram is installed and the computer is working.
              I contacted G.Skill tech support. They were awesome. I am now a fan.
              They provided the following solve: "If the problem is that your system doesn’t enter BIOS when new memory kit is installed,
              then it may be that your system is using old memory settings for the new kit, so it’ll fail to start.
              Please clear CMOS using a jumper or button available on the motherboard. Another way to clear CMOS settings is by the battery method:
              unplug the power cord and remove the round lithium battery from the motherboard for 60 seconds, then put the battery back on the
              motherboard and reconnect the power cord.Then try booting your system again. This time, it should be able to boot into BIOS.
              If it doesn’t, please make sure that your BIOS is updated to the latest version so that it will support 4GB modules.
              If the BIOS is too old, then your system might have trouble supporting 4GB modules.
              The latest version is 0803. When updating BIOS, please use a previous known-good memory module."

Comment

Great to hear, Glad you got everything up and running. I figured the new bios would let the thing work, never crossed my mind to do a cmos reset before the update .

Comment

Working...
                X