Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800-CL7D-4GBECO lifetime at 1.5V

Hi all,

I just bought a used i7-2600K and Asus P8P67 set up, which includes the aforementioned memory kit. The previous owner hasn't done any overclocking, in fact he had used the memories at the SPD settings of 1333-9-9-9-24 @ 1.5 V. I wanted to do some light overclocking, and decided to test the RAM first. I enabled XMP (1600-7-8-7-24 @ 1.35 V) but the computer wouldn't boot. I then tried to increase the DDR voltage manually to 1.4 V, and it booted, but gave errors in memtest. I proceeded to increase DDR voltage to 1.5 V, which finally gave me a stable system at the XMP timings.

Is it possible that the ~3 years at 1.5 volts have damaged the RAM sticks somehow? Or is there a known incompatibility with this motherboard and/or CPU?

Using the memory at one of its SPD settings is absolutely safe, even if the SPD voltage is higher than their XMP voltage.

Have you never used that kit at its XMP settings before? Then it is kinda hard to judge, if it is a compatibility problem or the memory thats failing. Do you by chance have the opportunity to test them in a different machine?
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
      Using the memory at one of its SPD settings is absolutely safe, even if the SPD voltage is higher than their XMP voltage.

Have you never used that kit at its XMP settings before? Then it is kinda hard to judge, if it is a compatibility problem or the memory thats failing. Do you by chance have the opportunity to test them in a different machine?
      Like I said, the previous owner has just used it at SPD settings, never even tried XMP. Unfortunately I don't have access to a second machine which would take DDR3.

I don't really need it to work at 1.35 V. If I can rely on them at this speed, it would already be enough. I suppose the next-highest memory speed of 1866 MHz is already a bit too much for these.

Comment

DDR3-1866 should not be a problem with these at all, however you would have to adjust the timings and/or raise the vdimm a bit.

Try DDR3-1866 8-9-8-24 1T with auto subs at 1.50-1.60V.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS/EFI?

The memory kit will be easily capable of higher DRAM frequency with manual voltage. That is a very good, flexible memory kit.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hello.
            malaakso Im having the same problem with exact memory kit(F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO). It doesnt boot up with XMP settings 1600-7-8-7-24 @ 1.35 V. Needs like ~1.4v to boot up without problems but again it crashes after short time (tried voltages from range 1.35-1.55v). 1.5v is most stable but still crashes.

My problem is I cant even make it work 100% stable at SPD settings 1333 9-9-9-25 tRC:34 @ 1.5v. My motherboard is Asus M4A89TD PRO USB3 & CPU Phenom II x4 965.

Ram stick are installed in black slots and were tested with Gigabyte MA74GMT-S2 motherboard and Phenom x3 445 and were working 100% fine @ 1600 with 7-8-7-24 timings / all other settings set to auto.
            Last edited by rodak; 10-11-2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Did you test one module at a time to see if they perform the same?

DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.35V should be fine.

The CPUs you have do not fully support DDR3-1600, so additional tweaks may be necessary.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
              X