Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-2400C10D-8GTX Advice with setup

Hello Guy`s,

I need some advice please from you G-SKILL Guru`s.
    I am building my son a Gaming pc for Christmas and the parts I have acquired are listed below.

Antec eleven hundred PC Case
    Intel 3770K CPU
    Maximus V extreme motherboard
    MSI AMD R7950 3GB DDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card
    XFX P1-750S-NLB9 PRO750W
    G Skill 2x 4GB PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz Gaming Memory Kit
    (Noctua NH-U12S or Noctua NH-U12S)... Not decided which one yet,
    Pioneer BDR-208EBK 128GB 15x Multilayer BDRW

I recently purchased , G Skill 2x 4GB PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz Gaming Memory Kit for around £54 which I thought was a great price , and hopefully this memory will work great but a little unsure?

I was hoping to acquire another set of the same memory in the near future to upgrade the memory to so as to have 4 x G Skill 4GB PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz but will this cause any problems??

I am really unsure if this memory will work ok with this setup so please your thoughts would be of great help.
    I would be advising my son to do a mild overclock of the CPU and MSI AMD R7950 but nothing to extreme, what would be the best for good stability?
    Thank you guy`s for any advice you can offer.

Best Regards

as Specific as the memory you gave sounds that actually isn't enough to know exactly which kit you've purchased. (by the way that is a killer rig top to bottom, need a 30 year old son?)

Couple of thoughts, I will bet you $10 the memory you bought WILL be compatable, however especially when you get to dealing with 2400mhz memory the odds of just going and buying another 8gb kit and it working at rating timings (or at all) go down drastically. If you want 16 gigs, get them now in a single kit, but honestly if he's just going to game no matter how hardcore the 8 gigs you bought will be more than sufficient! With that cpu honestly just letting turbo boost will work for all games but a little oc (maybe 4.0~4.2) with that cooler it won't even know you've done it.

So recap Either buy 16 gigs now, or stick with 8, Should be compatable as it sits (but the actual entire model number for the memory needed to confirm), killer rig
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Hello Thank you for you reply and advice.

The exact memory model is F3-2400C10D-8GTX and a link to them below
      http://gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c10d-8gtx

I would have bought the 16GB kit 4x4 but trying to save a bit here and there and I found the F3-2400C10D-8GTX for £54
      which was a steal so I got that, My son maybe in the near future will be doing video editing so That's why I really wanted to know how another set may react? same set F3-2400C10D-8GTX . but ATM cant get them nowhere near the price I got the 1st set from

Thanks again for your help and advice .

Best Regards,
      Last edited by polosolo; 10-04-2013, 08:30 AM.

Comment

That motherboard is listed on the QVL for the memory, and I know that cpu is more than capable, so I would say everything is a go. Do note, you can't just drop that memory in and let it go, you have to go into bios and (start by trying to set XMP) then go from there.
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Thank you Sir for all your time and help.

I presumed that the memory was just like plug n play with this board

Thought the memory defaulted to 1333MHz ? and then set the Intel Extreme Memory Profiles (XMP), in Bios ? is this the correct procedure?

Thank you again for your help.

Best Regards

Comment

That is exactly correct, but I do constantly see people "my ram only runs at 1600 blah blah blah this is just OCed regular sticks"

It will "probably" boot at really loose 1600 timings if I had to guess, but yes just enable xmp and it should go, if that doesn't work putting the speed/timings on an asus board (I have one myself) is rather simple.

Comment

I really appreciate all your time and help Sir.

I am planning to do a test l8r this evening , when son`s asleep and see what happens.

I haven't tested any component's yet , all purchased new over the course of the past few months , So will see how it goes.

Gonna bench test just motherboard ,CPU , and 1 stick of ram at each time 1st and if that's ok? will test with both sticks and then with the msi 7950 installed .

Does this sound about right ? how the test procedure should go ?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Comment

All memory testing (done with memtest program at for sure at least) should be done on single sticks only. So that is the way to do it. Remember to use same colored slots not slots beside eachother when you do use both sticks to run in dual channel mode. You have the right idea. I usually get in a hurry and just do it all at once (worked on 6 of my 7 total builds) had to trouble shoot one and it was a pain since I had EVERYTHING installed.

Comment

Good news ATM

I have tested the motherboard with both stick with the CPU and MSI 7950 installed all seems ok with the XMP profile, it loaded the memory fine at 2400 with no more tweaking whatsoever.......I suspect this must be a good thing , But I have yet to test with the SSD HDs installed , So I hope all will be AOK .

I have not tested the CPU overclock feature yet , but I can see in the bios that it can AUTO overclock at stages starting from 4.2 and up , will it be safe to try at 4.2 on the stock cooler or should I wait until I install the NOCTUA cooler ?

I have a feeling that if at some stage I add another 2 stick of F3-2400C10D-8GTX it will work? with no problems at all ...Fingers crossed... The Bios setting are really Amazing!! and it`s full of features to explore

Would it be wise to update the Bios to the latest on this board . ?

Thank you again for your help and advice ,

Best Regards

Comment

My gut is to always leave bioses alone if everything is working smoothly, if you wanted to OC the memory (lower timings or make a run at 2600 or 2800 (that memory most certainly can do one or the other with looser timings, but I'd focus on lowering the 2400 timings) you might want to update it a bit. As for the OC on stock cooler, it'd be very touchy Make sure you have a temp monitoring program (list of tools in oc section of forums) open at all times and shut the thing down if it gets anywhere near 90 degrees C. If you don't try and do benchmarks or game I suspect it'll be okay, but then again it'll be tough to see if its fully stable without doing those. Buying another set there is no way to know if it will work or not, Gskill will not guarantee it as they wade through lots of stock to find 4 stick sets at that speed that work together. Honestly there is no need for more than 8 gigs to game (dunno why I have 16 as I've never seen more than 39% physical memory useage other than running ram benchmarks). I think you can mess around with it some OCed on stock cooler, just don't load the thing up too bad on cpu usage. It should throttle itself before you do damage. But put the cooler on before you get too carried away with the OC.

EDIT: If you really want 16 gigs I'd reccomend selling the 8 you have on ebay or somethign similar and buy a 2x8gb set of tridents.
                    Last edited by supahos; 10-04-2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Thank you for all your help and advice, I will take all suggestion on board.
                      Time to but it all away for now until I get the Noctua cooler and SSDs , Once I have this all installed, I will just do a gentle overclock of the full system component's and hopefully it will be very stable with a mild overclock.

Thank you again Sir for your time and help.

Best Regards,

Comment

Working...
                      X