RAM Stick Timing Interaction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Stick Timing Interaction?

I currently own an F3-14900CL10S-8GBXL (CAS Latency 10) and was looking to purchase F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL (CAS Latency 9) to expand my memory. I am wondering whether the 4GB sticks are compatible with the 8GB due to their differing Timings. I heard from someone that I could put these into my motherboard together if I put both 4GB sticks in adjacent slots in the motherboard, so they are paired together, and the 8GB by itself. I am curious to know if this would work or if I would be slowing my system down by trying to put the two different RAM sticks in together.

Since your F3-14900CL10S-8GBXL probably can't run with the timings of the dual kit. You would probably have to run those three sticks at the more relaxed timings of the single stick. However mixing different types of memory, can be hit and miss in terms of stability nonetheless.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

There's only one way to find out if they can work together, and that is to try. The 4GB modules should go int he initial slots, then the 8GB module by itself in the secondary dual channel, first bank slot. Use the settings for the 8GB kit and see if the system can be stable. You can also try lower settings like DDR3-1600 CL9.

Do you need 16GB? You may be better off using the dual channel 8GB kit alone, or selling it to buy another 8GB modules if you really need 16GB.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
      X