X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL RipjawsX, Asrock p67 Extreme4 Gen3

CPU = i2500k OC to 4.5ghz
    Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Bios v. 2.20

I've ran into a peculiar problem and I'm not sure what it is, hopefully somebody can shed some light on it. I was able to run the ram in dual channel mode at 1866mhz with manual settings. I ran it at: 9-10-9-28-1N as this screenshot shows a little over a year and a half ago:

But since then I've updated the Bios to 2.20 and decided to run my computer in stock mode at 1600mhz dual channel and no overclock. Works perfectly fine. Decided to get a new cooler and go for a bigger overclock. Once I got my CPU stable then I decided to overclock the memory to 1866mhz once again, but this is where I now run into a problem. The computer will not post, essentially what it will do is try to turn on 2 times, which I'm judging this by the fans spinning on and off, and then it will revert the memory speeds and latency settings to auto and 1600mhz where it does post and gives me an error message, and then telling me that it will load the UEFI. Checked the website and verified the settings for the memory which are 9-10-9-28-2N, and still no post. So I decided to test the 2 memory sticks in different scenarios using memtest86. Over the last 2 days this is what I've been able to find:

The X's show which slots are being occupied at what time, I think I pretty much tested al the various configurations that have made sense to me and I really can't come up with a conclusion. I can make a case for either of the 2 scenarios bad dimm slots or bad ram, but it doesn't seem to add up.

If the sticks can't handle 1866 in dual channel mode then why do they work in single channel? And why do they work in 1600 dual channel mode?

If the dimm slots are bad why to they all work when the ram is set to 1600? I have also tested to see if the ram works while my CPU is at stock speeds and I pretty much get the same results, I didn't think I needed to run the memtest since I believe it would've rendered the same exact results. But 1866 works in Dimm 1 and 2, and doesn't work in 3 and 4. Also no post when trying dual channel mode Dimm 1 and 3, or Dimm 2 and 4.

I tried searching but for some reason when I click on the Search tool nothing happens, tested that in both chrome and firefox.
    Help

Have you tried hard resetting BIOS?

Post picture of BIOS and we can see what's going on.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I wonder if the old bios played with the voltages some and the new one doesn't, try dram voltage up to 1.6 and see if that does anything for you, another thing just for testing sake is drop like 10-10-10-30 timings and see if it will post that way or if its generally opposed to 1866 at this time.

I assume there is no XMP settings in that bios to try? Can't hurt to look
      ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
        Have you tried hard resetting BIOS?

Post picture of BIOS and we can see what's going on.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH
        I was going to lie and say that I did, but I did not reset it. So I pulled the battery, moved the jumper and reset the bios the "hard" way... Was hoping for something so simple to rectify the issue but unfortunately it didn't. Once I loaded up my overclock settings and adjusted the ram timings I had the same exact issue of the computer not posting and then reverting back to 1600mhz and posting. Here are my bios screenshots, let me know if you want to see something else other than what I have provided:

Last edited by F1Seb; 09-30-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

continued:

Not sure if you care but these are my advanced cpu settings that help the overclock:

Comment

Originally posted by supahos View Post
            I wonder if the old bios played with the voltages some and the new one doesn't, try dram voltage up to 1.6 and see if that does anything for you, another thing just for testing sake is drop like 10-10-10-30 timings and see if it will post that way or if its generally opposed to 1866 at this time.

I assume there is no XMP settings in that bios to try? Can't hurt to look
            Well I tried your way since I'm out of ideas and the extra voltage didn't help with the 9-19-9-28 settings or the 10-10-10-30 you mentioned. Also tried 10-10-10-30 at stock voltages and still no go. Once I set it to 1866mhz it does the same thing it has been, I don't have an exact 1.6 setting, I'm stuck between 1.59 and 1.605 so I tried with both and no go:

As you can see it does have an XMP profile but it doesn't post using that as well.

Comment

last thing I can reccomend is bumping Dram voltage to 1.605 (can bring it down if it actually works), and maybe bump vcore 2 notches above default
              ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

I've already upped the voltage with no successful results. Anybody have a hypothesis?

Comment

Working...
                X