Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4GB F2-6400CL5S-4GBPQ with Abit IN9 32X-MAX

Hi all,

I recently purchased four G.SKILL 4GB DDR2-800 modules (F2-6400CL5S-4GBPQ - link: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=209) for use w/ my Abit IN9 32X-MAX motherboard (w/ Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 processor). When I try to boot the system it just beeps and won't boot. G.SKILL actually lists this memory as being compatible with my motherboard chipset (nVidia nForce 680) so this should work. I also made sure all the BIOS settings are correct (memory voltage, timings, etc.), but still no go. Is there something I may be overlooking or doing wrong? The system will boot with only two of the modules (so 8GB total RAM) but not with all four (16GB RAM). I've been using this motherboard/system with 8GB RAM (four 2GB DDR2-800 modules, Kingston Hyper-X) for the past couple of years with no problems. The mobo is supposed to support up to 32GB RAM.

Note: I ran memtest86 (v3.5) on each stick of memory, two attempts on each stick, only one stick installed at a time, and for each the memtest86 program just died and the system rebooted very early on. As a sanity check, I also ran memtest86 on one of my trusty 2GB modules (that I've been using for quite some time now) and memtest86 ran to completion - and passed. I find it hard to believe that each and every one of these memory modules is defective, so there must be something else going wrong...

Anyone have ideas? Thanks in advance!

Brian

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Thank you
    GSKIILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Do you have the latest BIOS?

Thank you
      GSKIILL TECH
      I'm pretty darn sure I have the latest BIOS, but I'll check when I get home (at work now) just to make sure.

In doing more searches on this topic, I found a thread in which a seemingly knowledgeable user stated that the memory controller on NVIDIA 680i chipset (the chipset my motherboard has) can only address up to 8GB of RAM. That link: http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?t=320479 (post #7) I couldn't find any other data to support that claim online, so I contacted NVIDIA support to try to find out if that's accurate or not... If it is, it's pretty sneaky of Abit to advertise support for up to 32GB RAM! We'll see what they say...

Thanks for replying - I'll check on the BIOS later.

Brian

Comment

Working...
      X