X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte EP45-UD3L --> 4 x 2GB = No Go

Hi Guys,

Trying to use four 2GB (F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ) sticks in this board,

and it pukes (fast beeps) and can't POST.

It posts fine w/ just either pair in.

I've tried the following to no avail:

-update BIOS to the latest (F9)
    -set the timings and sub-timings manually
    -bumped the RAM voltage to 2.0V
    -bumped the MCH voltage to one above stock
    (can't remember how much atm as I'm not w/ the machine)
    -chicken blood and bones voodoo ritual

I'll try setting MCH to 1.4V as I've read in another thread here when I get home,
    but any ideas?

Thanks, Tomek
    Last edited by tomek666; 03-15-2011, 09:35 PM.

I think the board is toast as every slot POSTs but 4.

Going to RMA the turkey.

Thx, T

Comment

How about 3? It is possible that the two kits are not compatible with each other. Did you purchase all 4together?

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hello,

I purchased the two kits two weeks apart from each other at NCIX.

All four sticks have the same part #s on them (listed above).

The board will post with 1 stick in slots 1,2,3, but not with a stick in slot 4.

The board will post with 2 stick in slots 1, and 3, but not in 2, and 4.

The board will post with 3 sticks (slots 1,2,3) in but not four (slots 1,2,3,4).

Slot four appears to be the common denominator, throwing the board into a fast beep psycho dance

I've tried a full board reset with the battery out for 20 min, to no avail.

I've tried other brand sticks and same problem.

Thank you for getting back,

Tomek

Comment

I see, then the motherboard does seem to be the problem. Looks like you know what you are doing. Just making sure so you don't do unnecessary returning.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Much appreciated!

Tomek

Comment

4x2G G.Skill work perfect in a EP45-UD3L, I run it..

never any problems, ram screams..

http://i52.tinypic.com/2qvgy8j.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/mhpy0j.jpg

if you're having some type of problem send me a pm or something, maybe I can help you..

my settings

ram 2.1v
              mch auto

Gigabyte EP45-UD3L / Q6600 @ 3.6ghz / Gigabyte 560ti OC / 8G G.Skill 1066 / XFI Platinum / Acer 22 LCD / Antec Neo 520W

Comment

Did you check your motherboard manual?

G'day,

I don't know if this is the cause of your problem, but the issue detailed below will give the same fault responses as you mention in the original post.

It's not well known, but a lot of the current Gigabyte motherboards can NOT be fully populated with RAM due to the controller chips being used. If you check the manual section about RAM you will find the 'Dual Channel Memory Configuration Table' in fine print. For many boards, a close examination will show that you can only use double sided chips in half the slots. If you wish to fully populate the board, you can only do so with single sided RAM chips.

The problem then becomes that issue of manufacturers with single sided RAM chips with a capacity above 512 MB. I've not found any, and most of the manufacturer's web sites do NOT tell you if the RAM chip is single sided or double sided.

This is a problem with many of the Gigabyte boards using DDR2 or DD3 RAM, except their high end boards. The problem is the tech specs supplied by Gigabyte state the maximum capable RAM as if you can get such RAM chips. My EP41-UD3L board is promoted as able to take 8 GB of DDR2 RAM, but only if you can get 4 x 2GB single sided RAM chips - the effective limit is 4 GB 2 x 2GB as it doesn't handle 4GB chips. My HA76M-UD3H-B3 is advertised as capable of 16 GB DDR3 RAM if you can find 4 x 4 GB single sided RAM chips - effective limit is 8GB RAM.

Regards,

Ernest

Comment

Working...
                X